diatoms keep coming back :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
When we were cycling our tank we had diatoms. I was told here to let it be and it will burn off itself. We did just that and it went away and we were SO happy.

But it's back! Some days there will just be a little gathering on the equipment (power heads, filter parts, etc) and other times the walls and sand are covered too. Initially we got in there and pulled out all the hardware and cleaned with hot tap water. We were not sure we did the right thing because as we pulled out the equipment the diatoms came off int the water and made the tank so cloudy. The tank looked a little better for a few days but it's back with a vengeance.

Our clean up crew consists of 2 snails and about 10 hermit crabs. The LFS told us to try star fish (2 chocolate chips - not our best purchase because I guess we won't be getting any corals). We have never used tap water in the tank - we buy store bought premade water for all water changes. We currently feed our 2 clowns twice a day but I think we'll cut that back to once to see if it helps. They eat like pigs and no piece of food really makes it down to the substrate.

We have 2 power heads going. We run our lights about 11 hours a day. Our parameters are all consistently great. (ammonia: 0, PH 8.3, Nitrite: 0 , Nitrates: 0, temp 80F, Salinity: 1.022. ).

It's so frustrating because we are working so hard to make the tank nice and some days it just looks gross!

Will chemi clean help us at all? More snails? Any other suggestions? Do you clean your equipment? If so, how? Maybe I should get a silicate test and test the store's water we are adding?

TIA
DJ

What kind of water are you using? Tap, RO, RO/DI? Even though I use RO water, I still get brown sediment on my equipment, but no patches on the sand. It could either be over feeding causing an over abundance of nutrients, natural sunlight, or the water itself. If you are using tap water, you will continue to see this problem pop up periodically. HTH

Mike

I would say cut your feeding in half, and abandon using flake food if thats what you are using, also I would add macro algea to your sump (or add a sump with macro algea if you dont have one). Macro algea will use up nutrients prior to other algea in the tank thus reducing the amount of nuisance algea. I would also get more snails for your tank.

As you stated in your post diatoms are caused by silicates in your system. As with the initial diatom bloom this will burn out as well. I would not recommend pulling everything out and rinsing it each time as you may be killing needed bacteria. I would add some more snails and hermits if you cant wait. They will make quick work of it.

What kind of water are you using? Tap, RO, RO/DI?

We purchase pre-made salt water at our LFS. Thye sell it bye the gallon (well, 5 gallon) and you fill it yourself.

also I would add macro algea to your sump (or add a sump with macro algea if you dont have one).

We don't have a sump. We have a canister filter. Can we still do somethig to macro algea?

TIA
DJ

I am currently having the same problem with diatoms. I only have a few hermits right now. It seemed to be a little under control but it just got worse. I was finished with the cycle 1 week ago.
Has your tank improved?
People say it is normal for newly cycled tanks and to leave it alone and it will go away on it's own.
It's very ugly and enough to turn one off on this hobby.

How long should it take to go away and will it come back here and there?

We don't have a sump. We have a canister filter. Can we still do somethig to macro algea?
You can add macro algae directly into the tank. I didnt check your tank profile but some fish will nibble/eat it.

What kind of water are you using for your top-offs?
What kind of substrate are you using?

I would say add snails and drop your temp! 80° is a bit high. Does the tank get window light? Algae loves the frequency of window light - and warm water too.

Since we got our new lights, even though we have the heater set to 75F it always stays around 80F. I am afraid to turn the heater down any lower for fear that it will drop too low overnight. It can get pretty cold around here.

I do need more snails. My LFS doesn't seem to have too many. I would love to order online but their minimum orders are too high since I don't want to add any other live stock right now.

DJ

eerrr.. can someone tell me how's the diatoms look like?
i think i hav the same problem too.

Golden Brown covers the bottom and sides of the tank....It would be pretty normal for you to have some at this point, Leesanhua.

They will eventually burn out on there own. If you want to help rid the tank of them sooner you can add some hermits and snails after the cycle is completed

djmpj2 said:
Since we got our new lights, even though we have the heater set to 75F it always stays around 80F. I am afraid to turn the heater down any lower for fear that it will drop too low overnight. It can get pretty cold around here.
Don't turn the heater down, turn it up a few notch's. If the daytime temp runs at 80°, you want the heater to maintain that at night while the lights are off. 80° is just fine as a running temp but you want to avoid fluctuations where possible.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom