Diatoms Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc75

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best and fastest way to get rid of diatoms. I have a 55 gl reef tank. 4 turbo snails and two conchs ?

Don't spend money. Just wait it out. They will go away on their own.

They don't. I have no clue where that rumor came from. Just wait them out

I am not a "marine" aquarist, I have freshwater. but what I do know is that these things will filter out diatoms, and parasites like Ich and flukes. They also give the water a "polished" look. I will admit that they do cost. you may try an online auction site for a used one.

It's a waste of money IMO. Diatoms go away after a couple weeks. Just like uv that type of gadget is more a fw thing and even in fw I wouldn't waste the money on that piece of equipment. I'd rather buy other things that are more crucial.

I have skimmer all that. Ro unit. But I only use to unit every 2-3 week.

Then it shouldn't need the filters replace that often. Do you have an inline Tds meter on it

No. But the one stage looks a little brown. Only used it a few times. Maybe 60-80 gallons. Then it sits there full ?

No. But the one stage looks a little brown. Only used it a few times. Maybe 60-80 gallons. Then it sits there full ?

Could you take a picture? Do you know what unit it is? It's probably the di is exhausted if it is brown which does need to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom