Diatons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cycled how long? still have diatom for how long?
It will/should go away on it own.. Hav you added a clean up crew yet?

This tank has been set up for 3 months. Diatons for last month roughtly, comes and goes .But never really leaves Cut back on lighting too.
I have snails and Blue legged crabs and an Emerald crab.
26 lbs LR
12 Lbs LS on top of reg sand

What was your source water? Salt? Feeding? There's something feeding them or they would have burned out by now. Silicates feed diatoms, right? What kind of sand did you use? What are all of your parameters and did you do a 30% water change at the end of your cycle?

You may also want to either buy a test kit or have your LFS test your water for silicates. If they are high that could be why you are having trouble with diatoms. Almost every new tank has a short cycle of diatoms but they are generally gone within a couple of weeks. HTH, Skip

Thanks guys

I have to get a r/o unit.. I use well water now run through a two stage filter for Sed. and Metals , Cysts. I have had the water tested and silicates are'nt high. I just got the Fuge set up,maybe that will help also. :?

Dont stop at the RO be sure to get the DI stage filtration as well. I believe that stage is the one that will remove the silicates.

Get a UV sterilizer! A sterilizer kills all single celled algea's.............Diatoms = single cells. It may be costly but you can find coralife turbo-twists all over the net for some good deals. It also keeps your water crystal clear and helps with the outbreak of some forms of diseases!

Good Luck
SJS

SJSobczyk said:
Get a UV sterilizer! A sterilizer kills all single celled algea'should invest in [acronym="Reverse osmosis"]RO/DI before UV. The UV sterilizer will eliminate floating algae (among other things). Therefore it's better at helping with green water than with algae / diatoms growing on surfaces. RO/DI sounds like the best thing you can do at this point to help with the problem you've described.

Back
Top Bottom