Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool Did I make a stupid mistake?

So I have had a biocube 14 for 2 weeks the ammonia hit zero last Monday and nitrite was at .10-.15 ppm and we decided to rush and get our clean up crew to add a little movement to the aquarium but as we were there the fish store owner convinced us that it would be a good idea to get a blue damsel to test our cycle and then the next day(today) the ammonia is .10ppm a the nitrite is .30 ppm so can somebody tell me if it we a bad idea to rush it.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello????

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

As far as I know it is okay as long as you do water changes more often while your good bacteria is getting established. Try and keep your water clean and ammonia low. It will even out. I wouldn't get anything more though until you get your tank a little more established.

I'm sure someone else a little more experienced might give you more detailed info, sounds like your doing a fish-in cycle. Look at some of the threads on here for fish in cycle and follow the directions.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes it was a bad idea.

Do water changes until ammonia is 0. A damsel isn't a good community fish either if that is your long term goal.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxbeast8508
As far as I know it is okay as long as you do water changes more often while your good bacteria is getting established. Try and keep your water clean and ammonia low. It will even out. I wouldn't get anything more though until you get your tank a little more established.

I'm sure someone else a little more experienced might give you more detailed info, sounds like your doing a fish-in cycle. Look at some of the threads on here for fish in cycle and follow the directions.
Sorry I didn't realize this was a reef tank. I deal mostly with fresh water. I just saw the topic, not the section.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

Bad idea. Fish in cycles are a lot of work and hard on the fish. I know the desire to get a fish right away. But, a damsel is about the only thing that will survive a cycle. Problem is that they are mean and it will be hard to put anything in with it. I would take it back and dont get anything until your cycle is complete. Ammonia dosing until you can go from 4ppm to 0ppm ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours. Then do your research and get the fish you really want.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its a bad idea but its not like it was the worst mistake ever and you messed everything up people do fish-in cycles all the time esp. with damsels they are tough sons of guns, wasn't the smartest choice but its not the end of the world.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryTaylor View Post
Hello????
Patience is a real virtue in fishkeeping...... and in waiting for a response to your thread.

It takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. Yes, you rushed it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lol

everyone has newbie pitfalls I for example use a whale shark to cycle my tank worked perfectly until I realized it didnt fit....lol just trying to bust a laugh...

now in a more serious tone that seem to be a fish in cycle, I would suggest if you plan on keeping the damsel alive and your cycle moving using some cheat cheats like, nite out to reduce both ammonia and nitrates, also using prime by seachem this will help with ammonia and nitrates, these will help ease the damsels gills as they will probably burn out throughout your cycling, also water changes are a must 30-40% honestly if the LFS told you to do a fish in cycle that is kind of difficult because doing the H2O changes will halt some of your cycle.

like I tell everyone any questions or problems you have shoot me an email Ill be able to help you just takes a bit of research through my books and notes to find the answer.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would return everything. It was rushed.

Tags
ammonia spike, cycling, help 5.5, new aquarium, nitrite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com