Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Didn't rinse live sand

So, i brought some live sand from my LFS and i asked the man there if i have to rinse the sand, and he told me no. So i didn't rinse it. I put the sand in, put a dish and slowly poured the water in.

But the tank is really cloudy and there is some foam up at the water line =/ I ran out of distilled water to make more.

will it settle? is this okay? sorry i am a freshwater person and this is my first time trying anything saltie.

Oh this is not a full salt water tank, this is a brackish 1.011 specific gravity tank. Its suspose to be a semi ecosphere for hawaiian volcano shrimps opae ulae. I have live sand, live rock and a few lava rocks in this bowl.

aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes it will settle takes a while do you have a extra filter? Was there a small pack of clarifier in the bag? Rinse the filter flood out once in awhile then replace it.

Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Let the sand settle, this is natural and rinsing the sand would have removed any of the BB if it was live. Give it a few days, patience is key in saltwater. Not even key, necessary to succeed.
Michaelbknudsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
So the sand has mostly settled. Sadly my shrimps has arrived so i had no choice but to add them to the tank. lol, but luckily they are opaes soooo i hope they will be fine

water parameters are holding steady. =<..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	170105  
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
It'll clear with time ... my (90 gal) tank took a week to completely clear... but went from almost opaque to crystal clear in that week. (I also got a lot of foam... it cleared up too.)
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com