Didn't rinse live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aluka

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, i brought some live sand from my LFS and i asked the man there if i have to rinse the sand, and he told me no. So i didn't rinse it. I put the sand in, put a dish and slowly poured the water in.

But the tank is really cloudy and there is some foam up at the water line =/ I ran out of distilled water to make more.

will it settle? is this okay? sorry i am a freshwater person and this is my first time trying anything saltie.

Oh this is not a full salt water tank, this is a brackish 1.011 specific gravity tank. Its suspose to be a semi ecosphere for hawaiian volcano shrimps opae ulae. I have live sand, live rock and a few lava rocks in this bowl.

Yes it will settle takes a while do you have a extra filter? Was there a small pack of clarifier in the bag? Rinse the filter flood out once in awhile then replace it.

Let the sand settle, this is natural and rinsing the sand would have removed any of the BB if it was live. Give it a few days, patience is key in saltwater. Not even key, necessary to succeed.

So the sand has mostly settled. Sadly my shrimps has arrived so i had no choice but to add them to the tank. lol, but luckily they are opaes soooo i hope they will be fine :(

water parameters are holding steady. =<..

Attachments

• IMG_1277[1].jpg
    IMG_1277[1].jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 97
It'll clear with time ... my (90 gal) tank took a week to completely clear... but went from almost opaque to crystal clear in that week. (I also got a lot of foam... it cleared up too.)

Back
Top Bottom