Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
remember i can only think of it moving like 2 or 3 times in the past year
Well, that is actually a lot. My BTA's only move when bothered, and my Sebae has not moved in over three years. Not saying they will not, but you get the idea. Be sure to monitor the tank, and other corals, closely. Carpets are quite aggressive.
Quote:
6-8 hrs will that affect my other corals that are custom to my 11hr photo period
No, not really. FWIW many corals actually stop photosynthesizing before lights out, especialing on set ups using MH. They become saturated prior to lights out, and experience photoinhibition. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No I dont still have mine. I returned him to the LFS because I figured out I did not have enough lighting. I was going to get the lighting but both my clowns just ignored it so I took it back.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea its 9oclock here and i just placed him in the tank. i did alot of work to the structure of the LR and made a big mound in the very center. and i have about 2-3 inchs of space all around the tank walls. i placed him in the tank and he is between the lr and wall on the right side of the tank.
the face of the anemone is coming out but the foot is slowy going down in size and i see a few strings of slime coming off the foot. is that bad or is that normal do to shipping?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Assuming it's a clearish slime, that's normal. The anemone is just stressed out.

Good luck!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea its clear. i will take some picture tomarrow when everything clears up and the toadstool and torch coral come back out.
mabey the anenome will work its way to the frount of the tank to view him better.
i realy hope he makes it. last thing i want to do is call matt and tell him he died
i set my lights to come on at 12noon and off at 7pm. and will slowy over the next few weeks bump it to 10-12hrs
i dont know a good time to have lights come on and off so will some one share theirs with me?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Whenever is most conveienet for you. My lights run a very odd schedule. 4 pm to 12-1 am usually. I leave them on when I am home and awake and able to look into the tanks.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

i see.
i see my clown kinda staying away from the anemone. could he be scared of it? or will the carpet aneone hurt my O.clown?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The clown will be fine, but it's not a guarantee that it will ever go in the anemone. Although, IME, if there is nothing else more tempting in the tank, they usually will. Some do it immediately, and w/ others it takes time, sometimes weeks, maybe months. The lighting schedule concerns me some. Beside changes in intensity stressing corals, a change in the color or K of the lighting can stress animals as well. You would be much safer and better off IMO, by starting out w/ only a few hours a day. A 7 hour photoperiod is plenty long enough to do damage if it's going to happen. I recommend starting w/ four hours, six would be about the max. IMO. Different brand bulbs, even if marked the same K, will not be identical. Usage also shifts K some, so no two set ups are the same.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

good point. i just changed it to 5 hrs. i really hope the other corals dont hate me for this. i am going to take a picture of the anenome when i get home today. the mouth looks a little weird and the foots is still puffed up after about 5hrs in the tank. i could be over reacting. but i am already trippin as it is about this guy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com