didnt work out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
well the trade i was going to do with the anonome crashed on me and now i guess i am left with this guy. so i guess i am going to move some rock in my tank and try to make a mound of LR to place the other corals on.
i guess what my idea is to create a mound of rock in the center for the corals to be placed high where the anonome will have a hard time to reach them till he settals in.
then move the toadstool to a more plesent place along with the torch coral.
would this work?
or i could place the corals in buckets for the night in hope of him settleing in over night.
i am kinda frusterated here because i dont want to hurt the little guy. but at the same time if i dont he going to die any way and that hurts

I have always had my anenome when I had him to go where he wanted to go. I dont think I would keep the corals in a bucket. I dont know how mature this tank is but they need at least a tank 9-12 months old.

well my tank in no where near 9-12 month old and i knew that from the begining. i did not buy this guy. he ws a friend of mine anemone and he moved clear across the country. and had to tear down his whole tank and sell most of it. i got the rest along with this guy. and some coral's and a golby and o.clown.
i knew i could not take his angle and triggers so he called the LFS and found a good home for them. but the LFS would not take the anemone because they cant keep them alive long enough do to the fact of poor water and low light needed by the anemone.

so here i am with a anemone that i am trying so hard to house. with out hurting my other corals in my tank.(toadstool leather,torch coral, and a plusing zeina)
is it possible to do this?

The anenome will be stuck to the rock but if you see it coming near your corals you can always pick up your coral and move it. When I had my anenome it never did bother my corals but I know that that is not always the rule.

well at this point he not attached to any rock. he in a bucket that he was brought to me in and i am driping him to to my tank. i am thinking here in a few more hrs he will be fine to release.
also i am thinking of moving some rock work around to kinda make a cave or something high to place the corals on till he finds a place he likes.

should i have the lights off when i introduce him into the tank?

and melosu do u still have your anenome and what type was it?

also i wanted to know what to expect when i place this guy in the tank? it seems like hes pufing up his foot to be huge and it dont look like it did in his tank. is this normal for the shipping to do this to him? and will he o back to normal?

Leaving the lights off, for a few hours at least, would be a good idea to reduce stress. As melosu said, don't try and move the anemone once it is attached to rock. It only adds stress to the situation, and can possibly cause physical damage. Anemones will act strange when being transported, so no worries about the foot. Good luck w/ him.
Also, what type of lighting was it under, what size tank? Don't forget about light acclimation

Now we need to see pics.. heh.

well the tank he was in was either a 75 or 90g i cant remember. and was under 175w hqi lighting.
i did not understand about the anemone attaching to the rock but i do now. thank u. i hope he never moves when i put in in so he dont ever sting any of my corals.
:)
how often will he move about the tank. or when he finds a place will he stay forever?

Be careful w/ your lighting then. Those tanks are both deeper than what you have, so your lighting is going to be more intense for the most part. I would recommend using a shortened photoperiod, say start off w/ 4-6 hours, and slowly increase it over a couple weeks. Watch closely, especially for the first few days, for stress due to light shock. Although there is not too much of a jump.
how often will he move about the tank. or when he finds a place will he stay forever?
I think only time will tell. As I said carpets are more likely to roam, at least periodically, the many other anemones. How did it behave in it's previous tank?

They will move to a place they feel comfortable and can move, in the future, on a whim.

well i always went over to his house like every weekend to watch the football games and knock someback. but from what i can remember i can only think of it moving like 2 or 3 times in the past year. it seemed to like a cave he had and then other times it liked the sand in the front right corner.

as for the depth of my tank vs. his. mine is 20inch tall and i think they were about the same his might be a little taller its been a few week since i been over there due to him moving. but i will take what u said and do it to a tee.
now when i cut the lighting back to 6-8 hrs will that affect my other corals that are custom to my 11hr photo period vs a 6-8hr
if so how do i make up for that?

remember i can only think of it moving like 2 or 3 times in the past year
Well, that is actually a lot. My BTA's only move when bothered, and my Sebae has not moved in over three years. Not saying they will not, but you get the idea. Be sure to monitor the tank, and other corals, closely. Carpets are quite aggressive.
6-8 hrs will that affect my other corals that are custom to my 11hr photo period
No, not really. FWIW many corals actually stop photosynthesizing before lights out, especialing on set ups using MH. They become saturated prior to lights out, and experience photoinhibition. Good luck.

No I dont still have mine. I returned him to the LFS because I figured out I did not have enough lighting. I was going to get the lighting but both my clowns just ignored it so I took it back.

yea its 9oclock here and i just placed him in the tank. i did alot of work to the structure of the LR and made a big mound in the very center. and i have about 2-3 inchs of space all around the tank walls. i placed him in the tank and he is between the lr and wall on the right side of the tank.
the face of the anemone is coming out but the foot is slowy going down in size and i see a few strings of slime coming off the foot. is that bad or is that normal do to shipping?

yea its clear. i will take some picture tomarrow when everything clears up and the toadstool and torch coral come back out.
mabey the anenome will work its way to the frount of the tank to view him better.
i realy hope he makes it. last thing i want to do is call matt and tell him he died :(
i set my lights to come on at 12noon and off at 7pm. and will slowy over the next few weeks bump it to 10-12hrs
i dont know a good time to have lights come on and off so will some one share theirs with me?

Whenever is most conveienet for you. My lights run a very odd schedule. 4 pm to 12-1 am usually. I leave them on when I am home and awake and able to look into the tanks.

i see.
i see my clown kinda staying away from the anemone. could he be scared of it? or will the carpet aneone hurt my O.clown?

The clown will be fine, but it's not a guarantee that it will ever go in the anemone. Although, IME, if there is nothing else more tempting in the tank, they usually will. Some do it immediately, and w/ others it takes time, sometimes weeks, maybe months. The lighting schedule concerns me some. Beside changes in intensity stressing corals, a change in the color or K of the lighting can stress animals as well. You would be much safer and better off IMO, by starting out w/ only a few hours a day. A 7 hour photoperiod is plenty long enough to do damage if it's going to happen. I recommend starting w/ four hours, six would be about the max. IMO. Different brand bulbs, even if marked the same K, will not be identical. Usage also shifts K some, so no two set ups are the same.

good point. i just changed it to 5 hrs. i really hope the other corals dont hate me for this. i am going to take a picture of the anenome when i get home today. the mouth looks a little weird and the foots is still puffed up after about 5hrs in the tank. i could be over reacting. but i am already trippin as it is about this guy.

Back
Top Bottom