Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

didnt work out!

well the trade i was going to do with the anonome crashed on me and now i guess i am left with this guy. so i guess i am going to move some rock in my tank and try to make a mound of LR to place the other corals on.
i guess what my idea is to create a mound of rock in the center for the corals to be placed high where the anonome will have a hard time to reach them till he settals in.
then move the toadstool to a more plesent place along with the torch coral.
would this work?
or i could place the corals in buckets for the night in hope of him settleing in over night.
i am kinda frusterated here because i dont want to hurt the little guy. but at the same time if i dont he going to die any way and that hurts

Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have always had my anenome when I had him to go where he wanted to go. I dont think I would keep the corals in a bucket. I dont know how mature this tank is but they need at least a tank 9-12 months old.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

well my tank in no where near 9-12 month old and i knew that from the begining. i did not buy this guy. he ws a friend of mine anemone and he moved clear across the country. and had to tear down his whole tank and sell most of it. i got the rest along with this guy. and some coral's and a golby and o.clown.
i knew i could not take his angle and triggers so he called the LFS and found a good home for them. but the LFS would not take the anemone because they cant keep them alive long enough do to the fact of poor water and low light needed by the anemone.

so here i am with a anemone that i am trying so hard to house. with out hurting my other corals in my tank.(toadstool leather,torch coral, and a plusing zeina)
is it possible to do this?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The anenome will be stuck to the rock but if you see it coming near your corals you can always pick up your coral and move it. When I had my anenome it never did bother my corals but I know that that is not always the rule.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

well at this point he not attached to any rock. he in a bucket that he was brought to me in and i am driping him to to my tank. i am thinking here in a few more hrs he will be fine to release.
also i am thinking of moving some rock work around to kinda make a cave or something high to place the corals on till he finds a place he likes.

should i have the lights off when i introduce him into the tank?

and melosu do u still have your anenome and what type was it?

also i wanted to know what to expect when i place this guy in the tank? it seems like hes pufing up his foot to be huge and it dont look like it did in his tank. is this normal for the shipping to do this to him? and will he o back to normal?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leaving the lights off, for a few hours at least, would be a good idea to reduce stress. As melosu said, don't try and move the anemone once it is attached to rock. It only adds stress to the situation, and can possibly cause physical damage. Anemones will act strange when being transported, so no worries about the foot. Good luck w/ him.
Also, what type of lighting was it under, what size tank? Don't forget about light acclimation

Now we need to see pics.. heh.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

well the tank he was in was either a 75 or 90g i cant remember. and was under 175w hqi lighting.
i did not understand about the anemone attaching to the rock but i do now. thank u. i hope he never moves when i put in in so he dont ever sting any of my corals.

how often will he move about the tank. or when he finds a place will he stay forever?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be careful w/ your lighting then. Those tanks are both deeper than what you have, so your lighting is going to be more intense for the most part. I would recommend using a shortened photoperiod, say start off w/ 4-6 hours, and slowly increase it over a couple weeks. Watch closely, especially for the first few days, for stress due to light shock. Although there is not too much of a jump.
Quote:
how often will he move about the tank. or when he finds a place will he stay forever?
I think only time will tell. As I said carpets are more likely to roam, at least periodically, the many other anemones. How did it behave in it's previous tank?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
They will move to a place they feel comfortable and can move, in the future, on a whim.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i always went over to his house like every weekend to watch the football games and knock someback. but from what i can remember i can only think of it moving like 2 or 3 times in the past year. it seemed to like a cave he had and then other times it liked the sand in the front right corner.

as for the depth of my tank vs. his. mine is 20inch tall and i think they were about the same his might be a little taller its been a few week since i been over there due to him moving. but i will take what u said and do it to a tee.
now when i cut the lighting back to 6-8 hrs will that affect my other corals that are custom to my 11hr photo period vs a 6-8hr
if so how do i make up for that?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com