Die-off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocky79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I have some cured live rock I purchased from my LFS, and have had it sitting in a plastic tub with a powerhead for the past 4-5 days (to play it safe). I examined one of the pieces, and noticed a thin, brown spongy thing on the piece, which comes off after a light rub or scrape. The rock didn't smell funny or anything, but could that brown sponge be die-off, or is it part of the "live" stuff?

Just want to make sure before putting the rocks into my (already cycled) fish tank!

it sounds like it could be die off, but it is really hard to say from your description.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Did you have a heater in that tub? That brown stuff sound like it could be a sponge of some sort. If it has been in the LFS's tank and is already fully cured, you can just take it home and place it in your tank. I'm curious, why did you have it in the tub?

Thanks for the welcome!

Now that I think about it, it's more like a brown slimey moss than a sponge. Unfortunately I don't have access to a camera at this moment to take a pic, but can try tonight.

There is no heater in the tub, but the room is quite warm. I didn't put the rocks into the tank right away for 2 reasons: (1) wanted to ensure the rocks were indeed cured or free of pests, and (2) wanted to do a thorough cleaning of the tank before putting the rocks in, which I haven't had the time to do due to a crazy work week so I figured better in the tub than elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom