different brands of salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
any one know why there is a differents in price for salt? whats the differents with red sea and instant ocean, the instant ocean is around $99.99 at every store and red sea is $80.00 - $89.99 but the red sea is on sale right now for $49.99 so im going too go buy some but ill return it if its not any good. oh yeah the prices are canadian.

as for salt im not an expert but think that alot has to do with marketing and some are better than others when it comes to trace of elements/cal/mag

$100.00 a pail for any salt is outrageous. I would suggest looking for an alternate source. You should not be paying more than $60.00 before shipping. If you can find it, I would aslo recommend Kent salt.

Cheers
Steve

All the salt mix's are basically the same. Its kind of like the different brands of catchup. They all contain the same basic elements but some are in slightly different amounts.

There are some essential elements that must be in the water to sustain saltwater life. All of the saltmix's have these elements. Some in greater quantity than the others.

I used to be that IO was the salt mix that the others strived to achieve.

that $99.99 is just the regular price at the stores here, i went with the red sea salt cant beat 50% off.

Another good place to check out is http://www.thatpetplace.com/intro/mainf.html They have Reef Crystal Salt in a 200 Gallon Bucket for US$44.29 a bucket plus shipping. Thats one of the best prices I have seen anywhere, allthough I did find a case (3 50gal bags) of Instant Ocean at my LFS for 50 bucks on sale recently.
Hope this was of some help to you.

Zero

Im not even sure if thatpetplace.com ships to canada. I know bigals.com does as they have stores in canada also.

good point but they said it will be on sale every 2 month or so, but who knows for sure untill it happens.

we used instant ocean and it crystalized on the sides of our tank . it was horrible we had to drain our tank and scrape it off. so i do think there is a difference in salts. we use tropic marine and it dissolves so easy.you can get a 200g salt mix from big als on line for 37.99 with out shipping included.

goldy said:
we used instant ocean and it crystalized on the sides of our tank . it was horrible we had to drain our tank and scrape it off. so i do think there is a difference in salts. we use tropic marine and it dissolves so easy.you can get a 200g salt mix from big als on line for 37.99 with out shipping included.

Interesting. So your saying the IO crystilized under the water line on your tank? I have used IO for years with no such behavor.

Can you describe your system at the time and what events lead up to this?

If you have a Petsmart near you, I know that their Instant Ocean 200gal bucket is approx. $35 US ... not even sure about exchange rate, but it was pretty cheap for me here in the states. =]

Back
Top Bottom