Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Different grades of sand

I've been following the threads for changing CC substrate over to sand, and have grown a bit confused. There are several grades of sand out there, as well as the HD stuff. Most of these sand particles are fine, <.5mm-1mm,correct--give or take a mm or two? My CC is more like gravel, which I wouldn't mind switching out, but am concerned about harming the fish I already have in my tank with all the cloudy silt that seems to be a side effect of switching to sand. What's this "special reef grade" stuff? Is it like my CC substrate? (Don't want it, if so!)

At any rate, if I decide to change, what size sand particles should I be using for this switch over?? and what care should I take with the fish that are in there now?

I have a 125g, with ~150lbs of LR, and ~125lbs of CC. Numbers: 8.3pH, 1.023 SG, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, 20 Nitrates. (These numbers have been stable for at least 8 mos., no matter what I do--PWC's, which I do weekly, along with a vacuum of the substrate; adding a new fish; even after a feeding, which I do every other day or so. I even just added a couple of mesh bags of Purigen, but so far, no drop in the nitrates. )

I have one 3" lawnmower blenny, six 1" green chromis, and one 3" coral beauty, along with a bunch of snails and crabs.

Any help, suggestions, or advice is always appreciated!

LynnCeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I switched out my CC with Aragamax Sand . I like it for my sand burrowing critters. When I switched out my CC/live sand, I did it in 3rs. I actuallt had to use a strainer to spearate the sand from the CC and I had a nasty sand storm but all my fish made it through. You will also want to have some premixed PWC (you can also siphon out a good bit of the silt that is free floating).

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I tried the special grade reef sand in my 29 gallon and hated it. After a while, the bigger pieces just sifted to the top and it ended up being just like CC...trapped stuff that was causing high nitrates. I switched to the Aragamax Sand that Scott linked, and I love it! It's the perfect size, IMO. A little expensive...but nice.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Just keep in mind that the smaller the particle size the easier it will be to move around and blow around your tank I got the larger size sand particles so it would be harder to move around the tank. I used the same sand Scott and Lindsay were talking about.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have that exact sand in my tank - 46g bowfront. I have to say I've had no issues with it. Nitrates are at zero. I've vacuumed it a little a couple months ago, but that was after 6 months of being up and running. Looks-wise, I think I might've preferred a smaller diameter sand, but the size variation of the "special reef grade" stuff is very minimal: 1.0 to 1.7mm in diameter. To me, it all looks pretty uniform in size.

Just another opinion to confuse the issue!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com