Diggin' Damsel??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone. I have 4 yellow tail damsels in a 55 semi-reef tank with crushed coral substrate. Behind a big rock this evening, up against the back glass (1" away) I noticed the largest damsel very busy picking up pieces of coral in (his? her?) mouth and then carrying the pieces about 4 inches away and dropping them. 8O The Damsel has excavated a "pit" in the substrate all the way to the bottom glass by doing this. He/She is wiggling around in this pit and chases away others who visit. I am thinking it is a "she" and she's building a little trench for babies?? That's just a wild guess. Anyone heard of this deal? In the picture just look on the lower left to see the trench and Damsel. It's pretty funny to see the Damsel carrying the rocks around, anyway. Thanks much all,
Erik

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed that the other 3 damsels are doing the EXACT same thing now. In fact one of the other damsels chomped on a rock as big as he was and dragged it out of his spot, I was amazed. They picked corners and nooks for their little trenches. Unfortunately one of them will have to deal with my big fat lawnmower blenny who seems to like his little cave very much, and does not want to share it with a damsel. :wink: I learn something every day....... Thanks again.... Erik

I have a yellow tail damsel that does the same thing it wiggles its tail to move the sand out of the pit it is making. I probably make it mad because when it gets too deep I fill it back in

I have a Blue Devil Damsel that LOVES to dig. She digs and digs and digs and digs... she uses the method of backing her tail up to the spot she wants to dig, and then turns the jets on. Very entertaining to watch. I also periodically undo the digging she does, because after about every week or 10 days, all the sand at the front of the tank has been moved to the back of the tank. Guess she wants to live on a hillside. She also digs down to the glass in her "home" spot, but I leave that alone for the most part, because if I undo it, she'll just redo it within the hour. Cheapest major tank inhabitant I have, but definitely the most entertaining, and my personal favorite. :D

We have that problem too D_Frag, too funny, it's like it ticks the Blue Damsel off but then he or she doesn't like it when I clean the tank with the magnet cleaner either, they are entertaining and very territorial, but then I guess I would be too if it was my home and someone is messing it up. ;)

I have a true clownfish that's hosting a bulb anemone, and he's always in there at night, but he doesn't seem very protective of it at all. Sometimes my coral banded shrimp will actually go up to it and take food from it, and the clown does nothing. Strange huh? And do you think the shrimp is getting stung as he walks over the anemone?

My damsels do the same thing. They will dig in the sand and coral bed if ther is not enough caves in the rock. 0X

My Hippo Tang has picked a space behind the rocks she likes and had dug all the way to the bottom. My sandbed is about 2 1/2 inches, so that was pretty far. She loves her little den. The only one who dare go back there is her buddy, the cleaner shrimp.

:hat:

Back
Top Bottom