diotoms.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats the best way to get it off your rock??? i ordered a cuc from reef cleaners bt do the snails get on the rock or can i get something else ??

diAtoms---what you see on the rocks are the symptoms, but not the problem. The problem is phosphate/silicates in your water:

Use RO/DI water
Run a GFO
Test your phosphates and replace the GFO when they rise
Step up the water changes (physically removing the stuff)
Ease up on the feedings

Couple months of the above and problem solved

diAtoms---what you see on the rocks are the symptoms, but not the problem. The problem is phosphate/silicates in your water:

Use RO/DI water
Run a GFO
Test your phosphates and replace the GFO when they rise
Step up the water changes (physically removing the stuff)
Ease up on the feedings

Couple months of the above and problem solved
i use RO/DI water .....dont know what gfo is???........dont have a phosphate test kit yest( i heard with a new system you dont need to test yet???) so far im doing weekly 5 g wc (i have a 28jbj) ......should i feed every other day for fish ??? what about my anemone its small??

Diatoms will burn themselves out in a new tank, its just a natural occurence. If after a few month you still have them and/or other algae then you might want to adjust feeding, lighting and consider gfo. (granular ferric oxide). But for now I would let them do their thing, you can siphon off carefully the brown stuff just dont mix up your sand too much

Diatoms will burn themselves out in a new tank, its just a natural occurence. If after a few month you still have them and/or other algae then you might want to adjust feeding, lighting and consider gfo. (granular ferric oxide). But for now I would let them do their thing, you can siphon off carefully the brown stuff just dont mix up your sand too much
sweet :) ive been rubbing it off the rock and spraying with a syringe

I'd spray it off the rock with a turkey baster and then do your water change to try to get as much out as possible. But don't worry too much about it, they are ugly but should go away. We all go through it at some point in a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom