Dirty weir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, tank is going great, no algae
Problems other than in my weir, any ideas? Was thinking of shortening my overflow pipe to give more water movement? Hummmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys, tank is going great, no algae
Problems other than in my weir, any ideas? Was thinking of shortening my overflow pipe to give more water movement? Hummmmm

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424648937.045342.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424648968.395989.jpg

Is the drainage pipe just a simple piece of PVC? Or is there a standpipe fitted onto it? Hard to tell what it is from the picture.

Shortening the stand pipe won't make any difference to the static flow rate. There will just be a bit more noise with the lower level in the weir section.
The problem is light getting into the corner section causing algae growth and no way for the CUC to clean it up.
If you ever drain your tank (eg to move), paint the corner piece the same as your back glass to keep the light out. I also have a cover on my top piece (it sits on the egg crate cover piece ) to further reduce light.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424706221.154778.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424706449.354727.jpg few more pics. Ok so there's nothing I can do unless I drain the system? Atm it's clear acrylic, would I paint that? With what paint as it's got to be safe thank you

Back
Top Bottom