Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Disaster

I know you guys will say I told you so, but after having my tank running for about a month with no problems, I added a powerhead last night. This morning 3 of my 5 damsels were gone and a fourth looks ready to kick the bucket. I don't think the ph had anything to do with it. What went wrong? I know it was too soon to add fish but they all looked healthy til this morning. Only thing I can think of is that the nitrite spiked and killed off the fish, a sign that it is cycling I assume. I'm going to pick up a test kit and make sure nitrite/nitrate is 0 before I even think about adding more fish.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Michel
Sorry for the lost but I don't think the power head had anything to do with that !

Old 10-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
I know Michel, the ph couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it, but it's kindof a coincidence that the day after I added it, they died. Do you guys think it was the nitrite/nitrate spike? I'm thinking I'm going to do a waterchange and clean the gravel.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very strange ! Damsel are very tough fish !!!! Could be an sudden increase in nitrite... Take a sample of the water and go to your LFS they can probably do a full water test for cheap !
You are sure that the damsel did not get caught in the intake since they are territorial and might have seen the PH as an intruder ???
Old 10-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to roblikesfish Send a message via AIM to roblikesfish Send a message via MSN to roblikesfish
Fishless Cycle will now own you for now on =) ..

I would buy a test kit and actully monitor your amonia , trites, and trates.

Wait until they are all zero, add fish .. have fun ..

Why chose Gravel if you do not mind me asking ? DSB will help keep your trates down.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'm going to pick up a test kit and make sure nitrite/nitrate is 0 before I even think about adding more fish.
you really should not have added any fish without doing this first. Check out our article on Cycling Without Fish. When you're out getting test kits, buy the all of the ones you will need to regularly check for.

Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and ph
Those are an absolute minimum.
I would also suggest Alkalinity and Calcium (I assume you already have a sg tester?)

It would be my wager your 5 damsel is already on his way out. If it is at all possible, net him and return him to the LFS. They may not take him if hes already looking really bad. If thats the case you could put him in a Quarantine except with FRESH salt water (not water from the tank as suggested in the artcle) and do water changes in the QT over couple of days.

Once your tank has cycled completely, then you can begin adding fish. Don't worry, most of us here have made this same mistake the first time we started a tank (including myself, I was lucky enough not to lose any fish) live and learn
Old 10-02-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, it's not too late to do the fishless cycling? I will return the two remaining damsels and get a shrimp from the market if I can still do the fishless cycling. I have DeepSix hydrometer, is this a sg tester? The salt level was 1.022-1.023, which should be ok so I don't think that caused the problems.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now I am confused !!! Did you not have the damsel for a while and everything crashed when you added the PH ???
Or is it my english
Old 10-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

no you're right on, i had the damsels for a month, added the ph and they died. but i know the ph had nothing to do with it. i should have done the fishless cycling and test the water, thats what i will do now, if its not too late

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well if the fish have been there for a month and now they die suddenly, something else has happened because they would have adapted to the water by now...
I am very puzzled !

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com