Disaster averted/new problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my gf and I were sitting on the couch watching shark week (awesome!!!) I noticed the water level in my tank drastically dropping at a fast rate. I run over to find water gushing out of the filter area. I have not yet been able to find out where the leak os coming from...Everything in the tank appears to be ok, but I now have a new problem. I need to find a new filter. My budget is $150 for a 29g filter. Suggestions please...

Yeah tank is 29g...I don't want to waste money on a so so filter. I would like to know what filters people use that actually work. The boxes and other marketing info lead us to believe that every filter is the best...I know differetn...

Well a hang on the back filter is your best bet. Marineland or Aquaclear tend to be some of the best. Most of the filters I use are Marineland. You can get by with a smaller one, but I'd recommend a Penguin 350 or some other filter of similar size to that one. You can pick a Penguin 350 up for around $50-$60

If you want something that will never leak go HOB. If you want the best performance go with a canister filter.

Well most canister filters are too powerful for a 29g. Plus there's not reason in spending that kind of money for a filter on a smaller tank like a 29g. If you get something like a Penguin 350 then that also give you a filter to use if you upgrade up to a 55g.

It is SW thus the SW thread...;) I am leaning towards a smaller canister filter but am curious about them. Most are for 30+g or so it would appear. how will this affect a smaller tank?

If you have enough LR you really don't need a filter for a SW tank. The LR is your filter. A filter would only be needed if you wanted to run other media. Now that's only if it's a "true" saltwater tank...;)lol
Just making sure...........

I have a canister on my 20g. Water stays pristine always. I switched out from HOBs because they let out too much co2 from the water and also got clogged up from all the plant matter I've got too quickly. It's up to you really. The HOB also kept the water in check but I never liked it's intrusive appearance. Plus, my spray bar helps keep water fully circulated through the tank.

For SW, I'd just save the money and buy lots more live rock and koralia nanos. For the price of a good canister you could probably net 20lbs of live rock and 2 koralias.

edit:+1 for thincat

Yes it is a true saltwater tank, I currently have 2 green/blue chromis and a bicolor blenny getting ready to go in. I would prefer to have a filter to add some media in to add in stabilizing the tank... I do have about 30+# of LR but over kill is awesome when it comes to this investment of time energy and money...

The only reason I asked if it was saltwater before I answered the Q is that I tend to jump in an answer a problem only to find out that it was a FW tank posted in the wrong section or what ever.
To funny most of the time.....
If you are just doing it as overkill I would suggest you get a reator from say bulk Reef supply or the like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and help everybody...I'll look around and pic something out in a day or two at the most.

Back
Top Bottom