disposing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im new to saltwater tanks, My newest tank is a 65g SW tank, Its been up and runnin for about 2 weeks. I have LR, LiveSand, in it. Where/how do you guys dispose of your SW whan doing water changes?? with both my FW tanks, i just put a hose fromthe tanks to my garden and let it drain. SW i know i cant do that as it will kill the soil. Looking for ideas

I always take mine outside and dump it right along the fence line and around my mail box. After awhile, the grass stops growing as fast there so I don't have to weed-eat it as often.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use my pool vacuum hose and run it into the street

This is not a practice that I would recommend. The water that gets dumped into the street runs into storm drains where it gets transported directly to the local water source potentially causing issues with invasive species and diseases.

i either run mine to a dead spot in my backyard or to the guest bathroom;s tub. Just depends on whichever is closet to the tank i am cleaning. lol

Not an issue. I don't think that saltwater fish waste going into a saltwater estuary is an issue.

Actually, that's even worse. Many many invasive saltwater species can be introduced this way. In fact, california is having issues with mass amounts of grape caulerpa caused primarily by aquarists.

I use the toilet. But I've read somewhere that someone put his water change water, not to sure if it was SW or FW in his garden where he grows vegetables. The guy says he's never had his plants grow as big as they do now. It's basically fertilizer

I put mine in the yard because it's mostly weeds. All of my money goes to my aquarium instead of my lawn care!

Back
Top Bottom