Ditaoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sure this has been asked here a zillion times.. So.. First off.. Sorry to ask again......

Should I be worried about my DIATOM Bloom?

Tank has been running for 7 weeks Total:
3-4 weeks Cycle with LR and a dead shrimp
3-4 weeks with Livestock (3 small fish)

I upgrade my lighting last week and a few days later I've got Algae EVERYWHERE... PIC Below

I've been searching for a few hours online today about this and have read that it is a natural stage in the life of a new SW Tank. SO, I guess I'm not overly worried.. Just wondering if I should run out to the LFS this weekend and build a CUC?

Here's a pic I took yesterday. It's gotten progessively worse since this was taken. It's all over the substrate now and I've cleaned the glass a couple times already.:
jan21_4.jpg

You need a CUC to clean up those diatoms, how much is a bunch of snails? You need a really good snails for the diatoms. Astrea or Margarita or Turbo snails are pretty good, I used to have diatoms blooming like crazy. How long do you turn on the light daily? I used to turn it on like 10hours and I cut to 6-7hours per day, it helps also.

You need a CUC to clean up those diatoms, how much is a bunch of snails? You need a really good snails for the diatoms. Astrea or Margarita or Turbo snails are pretty good, I used to have diatoms blooming like crazy. How long do you turn on the light daily? I used to turn it on like 10hours and I cut to 6-7hours per day, it helps also.

I only have 6 Margarita snails. When I first added my livestock, I bought 10. However, 4 died either of starvation or due not being able to right themselves when the ended up on their backs. However, I have not lost any inverts since that first week.

I can't get to my favorite Fishstore until Sunday as it's like 30miles away and I don;t like the local prices. I noticed they sold CUC packs.. I'll have to see what they consist of on Sunday.

So, you confirm that is Diatom though, right?

the pictures definitely depicts diatoms, the brown algae, the funny thing they are all on your rocks and not on your sand bed. I only have 29g and I have 9 snails, hardly any diatoms outbreak, so I think cut your hours and get stronger snails like the turbo will be good... altho they get big real fast. Remember if you see your snails upside down, turn it back, because they can't flip themselves, so maybe that's how your snails died.

Thanks for the advice.Actually, that pic was taken yesterday. The Algae is all over the sandbed now.

I learned the hard way about the snails. At first, I did see a couple on their backs and left them alone thinking they'd right themselves. After reading a bit online I found out they might not be able to. Since then, I've been using a piece of 1/2 PVC to reach the bottom of the tank to flip themback over. Actually, come to think of it. I haven't had to do it in a while.. Maybe they are learning :)

ALSO - I DEF need to cutback my lighting.. I currently have my Actinic on from 10am to 10pm and the 10k bulbs kick on around 11am to 9pm.

OH boy... 12hours of lighting is way too long, no wonder the diatoms are blooming... i think you should cut it back at least for now like 6 hours per day, use timers is best.

LOL.. Funny thing is I DO have them on Timers..

I was using a cheapo Hood/light Combo with a 20W F bulb and didn't have any issues... I'm paying for it now that I've got more Watts beaming down.

OK..Gameplan is to run the lights ALOT less.. I'll have them come on at 4pm and turnoff 10pm. Sound OK? This is good for us as I like to sit on the couch at night and watch the tank while the Islanders lose on TV.

I'll also add more snails on Sunday when I get to FishTown

Yes it looks like diatoms to me. I would cut your lighting back to 6 hrs a day also. What type water are you using? From what I understand silicates fuel diatoms so once they burn them up it should disapear.

Yeah 4pm to 10pm sounds really good. I hope the diatoms will go soon, it takes mine about a week to clear up, with your size tank probably with more snails it will be faster :)

I think Melosu can help you better, he's more of an expert than me :) I'm a newbie too.

Still using declorinated TAP water. I DEF plan on getting a RO/DI unit as I want this to be a Reef tank eventually. I think the RO unit will be my next purchase.
I have to read up on them a bit more to see exactly how they work and get installed. My Tank is nowhere near a water supply in my house so the unit may end up installed in my basement.

My LFS sells RO water for $1/gal. I was thinking of picking up 10gals on Sunday when I get there. I'll use 5gal for my weekly PWC and leave the other 5 for Top Off.

I think you should top it off with freshwater and not another saltwater. I used to think that way, but after my research, I learnt you should top off with freshwater because when the water evaporates, the salt are still in the system. If you top it off with the saltwater, it will mess up the salinity.

I think you should top it off with freshwater and not another saltwater. I used to think that way, but after my research, I learnt you should top off with freshwater because when the water evaporates, the salt are still in the system. If you top it off with the saltwater, it will mess up the salinity.

Oh sorry.. The RO water the LFS sells does NOT have Salt added. It's just Water that they run through their own Ro/DI unit for people like me.

Do you use RO water on your setup?

Huh? I don't think they charged $1 water without salt in it, because LFS usually sells saltwater so that you don't have to mix it on your own. I actually don't use RO on my setup, I just get that water from the LFS and I always go the same one to maintain the same salinity level and when my water evaporates, I put freshwater in it.

I swear... It's just regualr Water that's been treated with their inhouse RO/DI unit. You still have to mix the water yourself.

They do also sell Saltwater, but it's not made there. It's prepackaged. I forget which company makes the one they sell.

Wow, that's pretty hefty charged per gallon for water that you have to mix yourself. Okay, yeah in this case it's better for you to have your own RO/DI unit then.

Ha, I am going threw the same exact thing with mine!! Literally, looks just like that. It started a little over a week ago and just yesterday is the first sign I have seen that it is going away...I am waiting to add my inverts until it is gone!

Ha, I am going threw the same exact thing with mine!! Literally, looks just like that. It started a little over a week ago and just yesterday is the first sign I have seen that it is going away...I am waiting to add my inverts until it is gone!
Good to know I'm not alone.. :)

Why wait to add the inverts?? Won't they assist in your cleanup? I was thinking of adding more snails this weekend to help out. I have 1 snail on my LR, the other 5 are on the glass. The one on the rock is working the base rock right on the bottom center. Pretty cool watching him clean it up. You can see where he's been as the rock has a bunch of clean spots now.

My dealer told me to wait to add them, said it wasnt ready for it yet that he was waiting for the sign that it had fully finished cycling...this is that sign I guess. Update on it BTW, as of this morning its almost completly off my sand. think i will just vac the rest of it out.

*note* My water checks are great....0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite and 8.2 PH

For your clean up crew you have to wait for your ammonia and nitrites to be at 0 and then you have to do about a 33% give or take PWC to lower your nitrates. All three of those can harm your clean up crew. Nitrates in high volume and ammonia and nitrites in any amount will be harmful.

Back
Top Bottom