Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
3" of sand is too shallow for any DSB benefits and there's not a lot of area in a sump/fuge for that anyway. Generally a fuge should have much slower water flow, so it should be separate compartment from the sump fed by a small pump. That's the theory anyway.

I use the last compartment of my sump to hold some lr rubble, sand and chaeto. When I was running bio-pellets, GFO/GAC my chaeto started to disappear as the nutrient level went down. Before that the caulpera out competed the chaeto for nutrients and grew like crazy.

When between having major back issues and being too busy at work to give my tank proper maintenance (changing GFO/GAC/ pellets) I started getting algae problems in the tank and added some chaeto back to the sump. I'm now pruning it regularly. But I also did my semi-annual maintenance over New Years and now have new bio-pellets, GFO/GAC running. I expect my chaeto may do another disappearing act.

So, if you're going to add bio-pellets and your already running (and changing) GFO/GAC regularly, dump the fuge. Otherwise, give it some more time and you may start to see some regular growth.

BTW, caulpera as I recall should be on a 24/7 lighting schedule. Having it on an opposite schedule is what triggers it to go sexual.

i agree

your fuge in the sump is actually pretty small, its what liek 10x8? maybe holding 5 gallons of water? in my opinion thats really small and you do have a pretty big pump flowing water through it. i would drop the pump GPH to probably the same GPH that your skimmer pump is rated at and you will probably see it doing a better job thenit is doing now.

how much more space do you have in your stand? could you add a 20 or 40 gallon tank in just as a fuge?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I already have a 10g reservoir tank for the ato under there which leaves me zero room. :-(

Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have never ran the lights 24/7 on my refugium and have never seen adverse effects. I also prune it regularly though. caulerpa does grow faster than chaeto in my experience.
I'm currently using a 150 watt halide over my refugium with a 2 year old bulb in it and the algae is growing like mad.
What skimmer are you using right now?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I am very interested in this post. I want a fuge, but don't have the largest area for it. I'm about to try to design a stand so I can get my sump and everything under my tank. Only issue is my woodworking skills are slim and to make it all work...I'd have to move my antique icebox into another room or something...it is not a light object lol. If you tear down just send it all to me! lol.

Anyway, the concept should make things better and help stabilize everything...might be that it is just to small?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm using an eshopps psk150. I would LIKE to add an octopus diablo to it. It wont fit in the skimmer area with the filter socks though so I was thinking to utilize the refugium area. I for sure don't want to remove the filter socks, I really like them.

I also in the big picture, would like a biopellet reactor and then maybe a carbon reactor. I've read that the use of biopellets will negate the need for a GFO reactor.....Is this accurate?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally think you should keep it. Two reasons, 1) Added water volume is a great thing. It will be more forgiving when problems come. 2) Nutrient export is a wonderful thing. IMO Cheato is not a good exporter as calerpa is. If you have some calerpa in there with proper lighting it should be OK. I run my lighting 24/7.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Why add the diablo and run both? I mean, I am not familiar with all your setups...but the diablo is for 150-300 gallons. Are you running one sump system for all your tanks? I thought you had a small sump with a smaller fuge in it? Following to many Carey threads...I'm confused.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carey, what about a Bubble Magus Hero 220? An awesome footprint and a potent skimmer.
BUBBLE-MAGUS - Aquarium Internal skimmer|external skimmer|Dosing pump|Calcium reactor|Nitrate reductor/NO3 reductor|Filters|Turtle shell lampshade|Water monitor and controller|Additives|moonlight LED
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Why add the diablo and run both? I mean, I am not familiar with all your setups...but the diablo is for 150-300 gallons. Are you running one sump system for all your tanks? I thought you had a small sump with a smaller fuge in it? Following to many Carey threads...I'm confused.

I plan to play musical skimmers. LOL The eshopps from the 125g is rated for 150 so would be great for my 90g fowlr, the octopus in the 90g is rated for 125g which is gonna be good for my next build, a 60g cube.

I only want to run one single skimmer in the 125g and a biopellet reactor.

X, I looked at that link but theres no price and its kinda vague...I know you've recently discovered that they are decent skimmers. wouldnt a diablo be better than the magus one?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

With skimmers, it's all about the pump, and air. The pump on this one is pulling a lot of air. I think this will out perform the Diablo, in terms of skimmate production. I have inquired about the price. I'll get back to you.

Tags
chi, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com