Ditching my refugium-good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks very much X. :)

I guess for the time being I will leave the refugium alone. I'd like to maybe add more macro though in the interim, would caulpera be a good choice? I've heard it's the tops as far as nutrient export adn I have no fear of it going sexual...I could even go back to the 24/7 lights if needed, its just a small tinker on the computer so its no big deal.

Carey, yes to running GFO or Bio-pellets, but not both is the recommendation from the bio-pellet manufacturers. I have read many instances where folks (me included) ran them side by side.

Just be sure the outflow from the pellet reactor is near the skimmer intake.

As for your space problem, how about breaking through a wall or gong down a level :)

I already have a 10g reservoir tank for the ato under there which leaves me zero room. :-(

you could build a small stand withing the stand to raise up the 10g. you could also find someone to drill a tank for a fuge place a bulhead in it, raise it a bit and have it drain into the return chamber of the sump, this way you can have a slower rate going through the fuge and let it do its job, while the actual sump heats up, skims and filters

Carey, yes to running GFO or Bio-pellets, but not both is the recommendation from the bio-pellet manufacturers. I have read many instances where folks (me included) ran them side by side.

Just be sure the outflow from the pellet reactor is near the skimmer intake.

As for your space problem, how about breaking through a wall or gong down a level :)

have you seen the LA fishguys episode on bio pellets? they have the owner on it explaining their new bio pellet reactor and they have also have a fitting for the intake of your skimmer that attaches to the drain of the bio reactor to skim out the crud that it outputs.

I have a diablo skimmer on my cycling 180 gallon. I can only tell you so far it's a really good skimmer. It was broken in with only a day of running it. I have no fish yet but it's been on since the beginning of this week and it's already brown on the inside and produced a good amount of skim so far. I can give you a better review in a week or two if your still skimmer shopping.

I'm sure the diablo will produce for you. It's just that the sicce 2500's sometimes rattle on startup and other times start backwards. I used to have 2 of them on a large skimmer. If you don't shut them off, it should be fine. When i used to remove the collection cup to clean it, i would just lower the water level instead of pulling the plugs.

apparently sicce's use very little power compared to other pumps and pump out some serious GPH, as a skimmer pump i would think with the GPH numbers they would also suck in alot of air, but to have them go all crazy like that is pretty poop

carey said:
I'm thinking of getting rid of the refugium in my sump on my 125g reef tank.

It's been running for about 8 months and I gotta be honest, I don't see the benefits......

I have about 3 inches of sand, some live rock, chaeto and some caulpera. I have more pods in my TANK than I do in the fuge....lol Running a 25w macro light over it and nothing really seems to be growing. I have it on a opposite light schedule from my main lights too.

Anyone think this is a good idea or a bad idea?

I was thinking I could just shut down the system, remove all the fuge contents and use that space for a bigger skimmer. I also am planning on adding a bio pellet reactor next month or so. :)

I just don't get the refugium idea, I understand what it's supposed to do but I just dont' notice any appreciable benefits. My ph is almost always low and the nitrates are building at a normal level. I have absolutely NO algae in my main tank but I never really did even before the fuge.

Please help. I really am unsure of what to do.

Thanks everyone for reading and giving input, I really need it this time! LOL

The light in your refugium needs to stay all constantly. If you turn the light, your algae has the chances of becoming sexual, then eventually dying off. If this happens, you pretty much lose the 8months of "nothing" for certain. Sounds to me like you have a reef system, if so, your Corals will let you know what a mistake it was to get rid of the refugium; not to mention the rapid increase of unwanted algae growth in your display tank. Trust me... It's working and you need it!

I disagree that the refugium light needs to stay on constantly. I've never ran mine 24/7 and have had no adverse reactions. There is no chance of a sexual event if you prune it regularly (pull a few hand fulls out monthly). I have 6 years of doing so as data to back this up.

Mr. X is of course correct. Regular pruning will keep is growing nicely. Delayed maintenance on the other hand can lead to all sorts of problems...

Of course.

Do you know any living thing that doesnt require a rest period?

Macro algae is no different.

Interesting thought, but the presence or absence of light doesn't necessarily translate into rest / no rest periods.

Lots of really good information guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still kinda torn though, lol, I see the pluses for each side and just have to make a decision I guess. I would really like to get a bigger skimmer and be able to do water changes from the sump BUT I don't wanna mess anything up that I may have going now. It's true, I don't have a scrap of algae in my DT now, nothing but plating coralline. Just wish I could pinpoint the reason why, is it really because of the refugium? cause thats some awesome mojo then and I shouldnt ditch it. :-D LOL

I have seen three systems that ditched their refugium in last two months They all went with a good skimmer and bio ball reactor. They all said the only disadvantage they have is the creation of pods etc. The bio reactor has helped their coral more than the refugium did because of the nutrients that the bio pellets release into the system.

Lots of really good information guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still kinda torn though, lol, I see the pluses for each side and just have to make a decision I guess. I would really like to get a bigger skimmer and be able to do water changes from the sump BUT I don't wanna mess anything up that I may have going now. It's true, I don't have a scrap of algae in my DT now, nothing but plating coralline. Just wish I could pinpoint the reason why, is it really because of the refugium? cause thats some awesome mojo then and I shouldnt ditch it. :-D LOL

i personally would always stick with a fuge on a reef, there is just nothing better then a natural filtration, let mother nature do its job and enjoy the beauty of her.

if you do get a bigger skimmer i would look into doing the suggestion i gave with another tank over flowing into the return chamber, you can place a larger skimmer in the senter chamber of the sump and use the main chamber for chemical and mechanical filtration or even some rock rubble and elevate the 10g you have for your ATO above your sump with a simple 4x2 stand

This is the best one I have on file, the return compartment is on the right and next to that is a 10g tank i use for my ATO reservoir. Very tight under there...

img_1728948_0_a97f423fb1f494e0f2012ad497d3c4fa.jpg

Carey, I believe I posted earlier that after installing GFO/GAC alongside my bio-pellet reactor that my cheato in the sump started disappearing. Just not enough nutrients to support it.

Between work obligations and back issues I was not performing regular maintenance (GFO/GAC changes; PWC's etc.) and I started having algae issues to the point that I added cheato back to the sump and now it's growing quickly again.

I just did my semi-annual maintenance and replaced the GFO, added new bio-pellets, did several PWC's so I expect I will start to see the cheato start to disappear again in a few weeks.

You may want to take the same route. Leave it in place for now while you add your bio-pellet reactor and watch for changes.

You no longer have a decision to make. Hopefully the decision is made for you. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom