Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks very much X.

I guess for the time being I will leave the refugium alone. I'd like to maybe add more macro though in the interim, would caulpera be a good choice? I've heard it's the tops as far as nutrient export adn I have no fear of it going sexual...I could even go back to the 24/7 lights if needed, its just a small tinker on the computer so its no big deal.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Just one more thing- they are phasing out the psk2500. The new skimmers that use sicce pumps are using the 600's or 1000 model.
Move Over 2500, Sicce PSK 600 and PSK 1000 are the New Skimmer Pumps

Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Carey, yes to running GFO or Bio-pellets, but not both is the recommendation from the bio-pellet manufacturers. I have read many instances where folks (me included) ran them side by side.

Just be sure the outflow from the pellet reactor is near the skimmer intake.

As for your space problem, how about breaking through a wall or gong down a level
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I already have a 10g reservoir tank for the ato under there which leaves me zero room. :-(

you could build a small stand withing the stand to raise up the 10g. you could also find someone to drill a tank for a fuge place a bulhead in it, raise it a bit and have it drain into the return chamber of the sump, this way you can have a slower rate going through the fuge and let it do its job, while the actual sump heats up, skims and filters
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Carey, yes to running GFO or Bio-pellets, but not both is the recommendation from the bio-pellet manufacturers. I have read many instances where folks (me included) ran them side by side.

Just be sure the outflow from the pellet reactor is near the skimmer intake.

As for your space problem, how about breaking through a wall or gong down a level

have you seen the LA fishguys episode on bio pellets? they have the owner on it explaining their new bio pellet reactor and they have also have a fitting for the intake of your skimmer that attaches to the drain of the bio reactor to skim out the crud that it outputs.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a diablo skimmer on my cycling 180 gallon. I can only tell you so far it's a really good skimmer. It was broken in with only a day of running it. I have no fish yet but it's been on since the beginning of this week and it's already brown on the inside and produced a good amount of skim so far. I can give you a better review in a week or two if your still skimmer shopping.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure the diablo will produce for you. It's just that the sicce 2500's sometimes rattle on startup and other times start backwards. I used to have 2 of them on a large skimmer. If you don't shut them off, it should be fine. When i used to remove the collection cup to clean it, i would just lower the water level instead of pulling the plugs.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

apparently sicce's use very little power compared to other pumps and pump out some serious GPH, as a skimmer pump i would think with the GPH numbers they would also suck in alot of air, but to have them go all crazy like that is pretty poop
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'm thinking of getting rid of the refugium in my sump on my 125g reef tank.

It's been running for about 8 months and I gotta be honest, I don't see the benefits......

I have about 3 inches of sand, some live rock, chaeto and some caulpera. I have more pods in my TANK than I do in the fuge....lol Running a 25w macro light over it and nothing really seems to be growing. I have it on a opposite light schedule from my main lights too.

Anyone think this is a good idea or a bad idea?

I was thinking I could just shut down the system, remove all the fuge contents and use that space for a bigger skimmer. I also am planning on adding a bio pellet reactor next month or so.

I just don't get the refugium idea, I understand what it's supposed to do but I just dont' notice any appreciable benefits. My ph is almost always low and the nitrates are building at a normal level. I have absolutely NO algae in my main tank but I never really did even before the fuge.

Please help. I really am unsure of what to do.

Thanks everyone for reading and giving input, I really need it this time! LOL
The light in your refugium needs to stay all constantly. If you turn the light, your algae has the chances of becoming sexual, then eventually dying off. If this happens, you pretty much lose the 8months of "nothing" for certain. Sounds to me like you have a reef system, if so, your Corals will let you know what a mistake it was to get rid of the refugium; not to mention the rapid increase of unwanted algae growth in your display tank. Trust me... It's working and you need it!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I disagree that the refugium light needs to stay on constantly. I've never ran mine 24/7 and have had no adverse reactions. There is no chance of a sexual event if you prune it regularly (pull a few hand fulls out monthly). I have 6 years of doing so as data to back this up.

Tags
chi, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com