Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Mr. X is of course correct. Regular pruning will keep is growing nicely. Delayed maintenance on the other hand can lead to all sorts of problems...

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Of course.

Do you know any living thing that doesnt require a rest period?

Macro algae is no different.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting thought, but the presence or absence of light doesn't necessarily translate into rest / no rest periods.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lots of really good information guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still kinda torn though, lol, I see the pluses for each side and just have to make a decision I guess. I would really like to get a bigger skimmer and be able to do water changes from the sump BUT I don't wanna mess anything up that I may have going now. It's true, I don't have a scrap of algae in my DT now, nothing but plating coralline. Just wish I could pinpoint the reason why, is it really because of the refugium? cause thats some awesome mojo then and I shouldnt ditch it. LOL
Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have seen three systems that ditched their refugium in last two months They all went with a good skimmer and bio ball reactor. They all said the only disadvantage they have is the creation of pods etc. The bio reactor has helped their coral more than the refugium did because of the nutrients that the bio pellets release into the system.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Lots of really good information guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still kinda torn though, lol, I see the pluses for each side and just have to make a decision I guess. I would really like to get a bigger skimmer and be able to do water changes from the sump BUT I don't wanna mess anything up that I may have going now. It's true, I don't have a scrap of algae in my DT now, nothing but plating coralline. Just wish I could pinpoint the reason why, is it really because of the refugium? cause thats some awesome mojo then and I shouldnt ditch it. LOL

i personally would always stick with a fuge on a reef, there is just nothing better then a natural filtration, let mother nature do its job and enjoy the beauty of her.

if you do get a bigger skimmer i would look into doing the suggestion i gave with another tank over flowing into the return chamber, you can place a larger skimmer in the senter chamber of the sump and use the main chamber for chemical and mechanical filtration or even some rock rubble and elevate the 10g you have for your ATO above your sump with a simple 4x2 stand
Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Carey would you post a picture of the refugium/sump in question?
mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the best one I have on file, the return compartment is on the right and next to that is a 10g tank i use for my ATO reservoir. Very tight under there...

Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's some nice nog there! Bottoms up!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Carey, I believe I posted earlier that after installing GFO/GAC alongside my bio-pellet reactor that my cheato in the sump started disappearing. Just not enough nutrients to support it.

Between work obligations and back issues I was not performing regular maintenance (GFO/GAC changes; PWC's etc.) and I started having algae issues to the point that I added cheato back to the sump and now it's growing quickly again.

I just did my semi-annual maintenance and replaced the GFO, added new bio-pellets, did several PWC's so I expect I will start to see the cheato start to disappear again in a few weeks.

You may want to take the same route. Leave it in place for now while you add your bio-pellet reactor and watch for changes.

You no longer have a decision to make. Hopefully the decision is made for you.

Tags
chi, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com