Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #51
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Cmor, the reactor output went right to the skimmer intake pump. I added 1/2 the recommended dosage and about 2-3 weeks later added the rest. I ran them for about 3 months and took it offline. I think the use of GFO, ROX carbon and the bio-pellets, along with very little feedings just made my water too clean. In about 2 months I'll be going back to the 10-12 hrs/day - 6 day work schedule for a few months (nuclear reactor refueling time) and I'm not running them this time.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

Larry, I agree with your desire to devote your attention to the nuclear refueling and doing what you know works in the tank. Would not want you worrying about that during that time.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Cmor, the reactor output went right to the skimmer intake pump. I added 1/2 the recommended dosage and about 2-3 weeks later added the rest. I ran them for about 3 months and took it offline. I think the use of GFO, ROX carbon and the bio-pellets, along with very little feedings just made my water too clean. In about 2 months I'll be going back to the 10-12 hrs/day - 6 day work schedule for a few months (nuclear reactor refueling time) and I'm not running them this time.

if thats the case then why not just feed more, i'm sure you fish and corals would benifit more from the feedings and the softie corals would grow in nicer with the extra organics in the water
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #54
AA Team Emeritus

The science shows that ail animals live longer, healthier lives on a 30% reduced caloric intake. It also helps keeping nitrates low.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
That is the thing with bio pellets. You have to find the right flow for your system. The bacteria will eat all it can so you have to control the flow. Once you do this you should be able to maintain a healthy system. You can control the flow with new designed reactors or the amount of pellets in the reactor. You just have to test and find your sweet spot.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

@Carey, sorry for the thread hijack. Do you have other questions about your fuge?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey, no hijack at all, i found every response to be helpful and informative.

For now, since i can't get the reactor yet I am gonna leave things as they are. Once I get one I will let it run along side the refugium and see what results I get. I'll also keep running my gfo reactor too so I can see the difference if there is any.

I want to thank everyone who answered though, I really appreciate the input. Makes deciding what to do much easier and I didn't do anything rash like take the refugium apart like I was almost ready to!

Thanks again, I'll post when i get the reactor, of course, lol, and then we can go from there.

Tags
chi, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com