Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
I get that part . But you were talking about not adding live rock after cycling? I thought that was what your supposed to get after it cycles. I was told by more then one person to put some damsils in with the cycling I don't know that I would want to do that.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No fish in till cycle is done. Base rock has no bateria on it therefore it will have no efftect on a cycle nor will it start one. Live rock is well live. It has the benifical bacteria on it that maintains the nitrogen cycle. When you take live rock out of water to say transport it die off of bacteria will occur. When you put it back in your tank the bacteria that has died will start a cycle. This is why you add it all in the beginning before any livestock is in the tank. Some people will cure it if they want to ad more after the tank is established . This means to have a seperate tub with heater, power head and saltwater of course and let the cycle take place in the tub before adding to the tank. But that is a pain. Add it all at the start it's so much easier.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I picked up some more base rock and live rock for my tank today. The cycling begins.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank now a week later. I just picked up another 50lbs of live rock and added it. So now I'm up 75 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1811440599.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	118937  
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bubbles: I had bubbles in my tank and salt creep was not my problem, the bubbles lowered my ph drastically, so I wouldn't recommend any bubbles.

Live rock: I read (after I set up my tank, unfortunately) that it is better not to have the live rock touch the substrate. People use 2"-4" cut PVC pipe buried in sand so you can't see much if any of it and then they place the rock on top of it. They also drill holes in sides of pvc to allow substrate and any micro organisms to be able to move through the pipe. I already have my tank going but wish someone had mentioned this to me before I had fish in the tank...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I already have my live rock touching the substrate too.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

It makes no difference for the cycling now so you could do the PVC before adding livestock. Read up on it as I only know enough to be dangerous but my understanding is that raising the rock up slightly above substrate allows water movement around the rock better so as not to create dead space in the tank. This is also true of where live rock touches live rock in the sense that you don't want the rock to be too close together, supportive but not suffocating (like most relationships lol).
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the rock touching the glass on bottom or sitting on top of sand? You want it touching the glass bottom. That way if you get anything that digs, the rock wont fall and crush the fish.
Also, I would try to build the rock up a bit. You have a decent amount of rock, but it's all kinda on the bottom. I would try to make some different sized caves, maybe an overhang or bridge connecting rock on either side. Fish like places to hide. It'll take a little while to get something that's sturdy and has hiding holes.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rock is firmly placed pushed the way down. I'll try rearranging. The 50lbs of live rock I picked up today had been in the guys 400 gallon tank for 10 Years. I picked it up from a guy who's business is setting up and care of fresh and saltwater tanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rearranged last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1558355468.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	119104  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com