Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

awesome ill look into that right now!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait
So i won't be adding any livestock for at least a few weeks. But i'm doing a lot of research and i am choosing to go with a nano fish tank. These are what I'm leaning towards but please correct me if you notice something wrong. From my research these species will co-exhist nicely and not bother each other. Keeping in mind that I have a 24 gal to work with, how does this list look?

Clown Goby, Green
Firefish
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Jawfish, Yellowhead
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
This is way too many fish for 24 gallon tank. Bio load be way too much. 2 fish is max. Territory is also issue. You will stress out your fish.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's strange because i was told i could keep up too 6 or 7 fish as long as they were nano species. I figured 4-5 would be fine. Hmmm
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait
That's strange because i was told i could keep up too 6 or 7 fish as long as they were nano species. I figured 4-5 would be fine. Hmmm
I would say 3 tops. "nano" refers to the size of the tank not really the fish. Small tanks much harder to keep stable as well. Things can change fast. Jawfish and clowns Both get fairly big. 4" or so for clown and Jawfish prolly closer to 5" or so full grown. Fire fish are small and so is clown goby. Good rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons of water. Hope so more guys will back me up. Make sure you add fish slowly as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
I would say 3 tops. "nano" refers to the size of the tank not really the fish. Small tanks much harder to keep stable as well. Things can change fast. Jawfish and clowns Both get fairly big. 4" or so for clown and Jawfish prolly closer to 5" or so full grown. Fire fish are small and so is clown goby. Good rule of thumb is 1 fish per 10 gallons of water. Hope so more guys will back me up. Make sure you add fish slowly as well.
I agree, 3 is good. Just add 1 fish at a time, and when you get to 3 let the tank settle and everyone get used to each other. If you think you can add 1 more go for it, but you are taking a risk. It could def work out or they might all start fighting.

I was planning on only getting 5 fish max in my 29gal long, and i have more floor space than the 24 cube
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright tell me how this sound. What if I do the clown, Dwarf Goby, and a couple firefish? this will decrease the bioload and open up a little more space in the tank. Is this better?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have to agree with 3 fish. I have 5 in my 29g and it is slightly over stocked. I have 2 occ clowns, yellow watchman goby, helfrichi fire fish, and pakistani butterfly. And I am pretty much at the limits of my tank. I have started doing pwc once a week because of this. Error on the side of caution especially when starting and it will save you a lot of headaches. Nano tanks also like someone else said are very "touchy" the water paramaters can change overnight so just take it slow and do tons of research
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depending on the fish picked you can fit a good amount in a 24g tank. But not the ones you have in your list mentioned above.

When i say nano or micro fish, I'm talking fish that get to about an inch or so- WHEN FULLY GROWN! In a 24g nano I would probably get like 3 clown goby's, a small blenny like the two spot and maybe one more fish in the same size range. I would however go nuts with inverts. lol I love shrimp and crabs so i'd have a bunch of them.

Just so you know, clean up crew is not NEEDED. If you like snails and hermits then get some, but you can't rely on them to keep your tank clean. that's all up to you.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks carey!! How does this stock list of inverts sound...
3- Trochus snails
3-Nerite snails
4- Nassarius snails
2- Emerald green crabs
1-Red legged hermit crab
1-Blue legged hermit crab
and then i dont know how many but Cleaner shrimp.
Hows my aim on them?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a heads up if your tank is not producing enough algea you will need to supplement their food supply. Just a heads up

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com