Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
I was going to have the stand 1.5inch larger as well. Since Im going with just t5's I'll redesign that. to be liek a half inch to one.

What sort of live stock can I do with t5's only?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With 6 you can do whatever you want. probably even a clam if you place it in the top half of the tank.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
That's good to hear.

Would you place those 80mm case fans still in the sides of the tank or no?

Would heat be an issue? - I was kinda thinkin about having the top being about 8inches high, making the lights about 6inches off the water. BUT I'll have a piece of glass or acrylic to protect - and pretty much seal off the lighting from the water. No or go on that?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Miro-4 T5 Reflector for 54W Bulb & Clips $125.94 x6
Dual T5 Water Resistant Socket$11.34 x3
Dual T5 Base Gasket $0.87 x3
T5 Cover (pictured on left) $8.94 xt6
T5 StandOff $6.75 x3
Fulham Workhorse 7 T5 HO Ballast $103.90 x2
Giesemann Aqua Blue+ 48" 54 watt $74.85 x3
Giesemann Actinic+ 48" 54 Watt $71.85 x3
Sub-Total: $404.44

That'll give me 15" from edge of #1 reflector to edge of #6 reflector
Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Miro-4 T5 Reflector for 54W Bulb & Clips $125.94 x6
Dual T5 Water Resistant Socket$11.34 x3
Dual T5 Base Gasket $0.87 x3
T5 Cover (pictured on left) $8.94 xt6
T5 StandOff $6.75 x3
Fulham Workhorse 7 T5 HO Ballast $103.90 x2
Giesemann Aqua Blue+ 48" 54 watt $74.85 x3
Giesemann Actinic+ 48" 54 Watt $71.85 x3
Sub-Total: $404.44

That'll give me 15" from edge of #1 reflector to edge of #6 reflector
these below are not sold in pairs...you will need double.
Dual T5 Water Resistant Sockets 6 total
Dual T6 Base Gasket 6 Total
T5 Cover 12 Total
t5 Stand off 6 total.
That will still be a great deal for a quality system with bulbs.
mark my words. That canopy is going to look funny on a 12.75" tank. I would drop one of the Actinic+ and just run 5 if i cannot get them to fit. or do 6 with a DIY reflector. you can get some deals on 95% reflective sheets.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Id actually have to drop two bulbs to make it fit on the tank. As Ive been reading I think I should start with something little more less complex than a reef tank. FOWLR setup seems like it would be more practical for me to do. Knocking it down to a 3/4 bulbs would be ideal for this wouldnt it? Then MAYBE have enough light for some soft corals?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Id actually have to drop two bulbs to make it fit on the tank. As Ive been reading I think I should start with something little more less complex than a reef tank. FOWLR setup seems like it would be more practical for me to do. Knocking it down to a 3/4 bulbs would be ideal for this wouldnt it? Then MAYBE have enough light for some soft corals?
4 bulbs would be good for LPS, Softies, and most SPS if you place them high in the tank. I would start with FOWLR but don't forget you are going to want corals before you know it so get only reef safe fish. I think the best advise I ever got was to go SLOW. If you think you are going slow enough, slow down some more. Let you tank cycle for a month, Add 1 or 2 fish at a time. You will see a BIG difference in your tank after a year. A lot of the issues you have had will just go away. Sounds like you are doing some research. gather as much info as possible before you start. It will save you money in the long run.

P.S. You will be wanting a bigger tank in under 6 months
Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

K good to hear. Would having a black light in the tank pop some coral and fish colors?

Yeah Im def gonna go slow. SW stuff is too darn pricy for me to just experiment with lol. Just trying to find a skimmer that is good for my tank. I'll prolly get a 20 long and make that into a sump. Heres what I have planned for that.

20 Gal long tank
glass plates for divider + 1 acrylic plate.
skimmer - ?
return pump - ?
HOB overflow box - Eshopps PF300 Overflow Box, 10-75 gal tank, Single - AquaCave - need another pump for this? or that box come with one?
PVC piping

Dunno what measurements will be since Im at work and can't get the measurements off the 20 long i have.lol Anything else

Bigger tank is likely once i get into a house. I am in a small one bedroom apartment with my gf at the moment and between my 5 gal FW tank her 20gal long lizard tank and now this 55gal tank Ive run outta room lol. I think a 100-200 gallon tank will be in the works,and if I can wing it I'll bring in natural sunlight.. much like that 700gallon. I really want a display tank thats full of awesome
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You don't have to have a sump on that tank if you do not want. I know a lot of people use those overflow boxes but there is just too much chance for the siphon breaking and a flood happening. I good quality HOB skimmer like an octopus would be fine with 2 koralia 2 power heads would be enough. that is what I ran on my 55 for almost a year with great results. I have one I will sell you if you are interested (octopus bh-1000).
If you must have a sump and a fuge (you don't need one, there are better methods of nitrate removal fuges are very old school) put the skimmer section on one end and a fuge with the other with a return in the middle. silicon does not stick to acrylic so I would suggest all glass panels
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah I have been looking at tanks and such and HOB skimmer would be good.

I am interested if the price is right

How would you have the power heads? aiming up and to the center of the tank?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com