Diving into saltwater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxst2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got me a tank off craigslist (tank,stand, and a rubbermaid tote full of gravel and stuff for the inside as a FW tank) for a 100$... its a 55 gal tank. Stand is useless since im going saltwater - slowly lol. It's way to small and the tank is too low for my liking..sooo Im going to build a stand that can house a sump and a can display it better :) Also I'll be building a top for it... this is what I have in mind for lighting... please let me know if its too much. I'd like a clam or two as well as stony coral and some soft coral. Also I'd Like couple clowns for fish and the usual suspects for cleaner crew - snails, hermit crab or two, pistol shrimp and other shrimp since in my FW tank the ghost shrimp do an awesome job.

Lighting would be like this:
x2 (2 blue and 2 white) - 36" 2 x 39w T5 HO Retrofit Kit
x2 - JBJ K-1 250W Metal Halide Retrofit Kit

On the MH light ill get some aluminum flashing to make it more parabolic and polish it up. I have two 80mm case fans I can install on both sides for the setups for cooling - blowing in.

Timer set for first T5 for blue, then T5 white, then MH - then back down. Then: 44" LED Lighting Strip - Hamilton - or make my own with a dozen led's spread along the tank...

Jeebus good lighting is darn near half the cost of a tank setup... Anywho what you think of the above idea? What should i go with for light temp for the coral and fish I want?

Thanks,
maxst2

Welcome to the hobby!!!!!

I am assuming that you got a standard 55 which is 48" long. You will need a 48" retrofit kit. as for metal halides I would go with 2 175's instead of 1 250. for the moonlights check out this site www.reefledlights.com.

I wouldn't do any of this though. I started out with a 55 and loved the tank for a year. when you get into putting corals and clams in you will quickly realize that depth (front to back dimension) is VERY narrow and will be wanting a 75 or 90 soon (if not a 120 like me). The 18" depth is MUCH more reef friendly. I would not go crazy with MH's over a 55 until I have a little of experience. just go with 4 t5ho's (2 actinic, 2 10000k white) while you are learning. That will be enough light for almost anything except clams. (SPS at the top of the tank) then if you decide to keep the 55 invest in the metal halides or LED.

It is abit narrow, but ill take what i can get, and make due :)

I really want a clam though... I had two MH retrofits in the list I believe.. go with 2 175s though?... would that be too much with the t5's?

I have the smaller t5's to make sure there is room for the MH and LED lights inside my canopy.

It is abit narrow, but ill take what i can get, and make due :)

I really want a clam though... I had two MH retrofits in the list I believe.. go with 2 175s though?... would that be too much with the t5's?

I have the smaller t5's to make sure there is room for the MH and LED lights inside my canopy.

It is going to be tough to get the mh's and the t5's in a 13" wide canopy. If you run reflectors it is going to be nearly impossible. The 2 175's will be perfect for a 20' deep tank. look for a mh reflector about 8 inches wide and run the t-5's without reflectors. paint the inside of your canopy white.

250W HL MH Retrofit Kit (HQI)

Two of those and two t5 retofit kits ... going white blue, MH's in center, white blue.

Here's what i have... canopy INSIDE measurements are 50" X 16". 1/2" spacing from side to First T5 set, white then blue (or vise versa?) space 1/2" for middle MH fixtures, space 1/2", and then next T5 set, 1/2" space, side. LED's i think ill mount on the right and left sides and angle them into the tank.

I was going to line the inside edges with some reflective material so the lighting isn't exactly wasted.

img_1165110_0_2fc16956226846e10b9ece7e8bffdd87.jpg

Whatca think?

ah crap...been looking at those MH retrofits and they are double ended bulbs and not that great.

Looks like four 48" T5's is what Im going to have to get it seems.
= 48" 4 Lamp T5HO Retrofit Kit with IceCap 660 Ballast (Bulbs Included)
What kinda live stock can I get with that?

how do you have 16" of canopy space on a 12.5" tank? You can definately find better deals than the ones you have found. Why do you want to run t-5's and Mh's? I would just run the MH's with radium 20k bulbs. no suplimentation needed on this bulb.

Coralvue 175watt Complete Retro Kit Includes 175w ballast, Coralvue Bulb, Reflector

They will upgrade you to a radium. not sure about how much more it is.

If you want to go with t-5's you can do it MUCH cheaper.

for 4 lights you need:

1 x Aquarium Specialty - Workhorse 7 balast $51.95 or 2 x Aquarium Specialty - Workhorse 5 balast (white's & Blues on different switch
4 x Aquarium Specialty Reflectors 20.99 ea
4 x Aquarium Specialty endcaps 3.78 ea
8 x Aquarium Specialty endcap cover 1.49ea
4 x Aquarium Specialty Base Gasket 0.29 ea
4 x Aquarium Specialty Stand off 2.25ea

2 x Aquarium Specialty White Bulbs 24.95
2 x Aquarium Specialty actinic Bulbs 23.95

That is 270.91 with bulbs.

The True actinics look purple in the tank. both of the above setups will give you a nice blue color in the tank. You may be able to run 5 or 6 under the canopy. If you can get 6 you should be able to have a clam placed high in your tank.
or this (what I started off with on my 55

2 x http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_517_518&products_id=3907 134.99

This is a quality fixture. They are designed so you can screw 2 or 3 together to make one fixture.

I would not spend more than 135/pair on t-5's (bulbs included) or more than 180/bulb on mh's

I would go with the MH's only because I like the shimmer.

Making my own canopy... Plan on making the sides reflective so then the light I believe would be somewhat used While only having a just over 1.5 inch overhang around the tank... the tank is 12.75in wide. Lights will sit lil over 4 inches off the water - inside measurement will be 6inch up... That enough or i need to go higher?

If I did T5's only and did white/blue for every other one I can easily fit 6. Then rig some LED moon lights inbetween.

Ooo.. I like that site. I can easily wire up parts as well. You all put your ballasts inside the canopy or outside?

With the premade fixture you linked there.. ill have a 3/4 inch overhang on bothsides. think that'll work still? Or would building them inside an area and having reflection be better?

the better reflectors you can get is always better. There is a lot of light to be harvested from the sides and top of the bulb.

Making my own canopy... Plan on making the sides reflective so then the light I believe would be somewhat used While only having a just over 1.5 inch overhang around the tank... the tank is 12.75in wide. Lights will sit lil over 4 inches off the water - inside measurement will be 6inch up... That enough or i need to go higher?

A 1.5 inch overhand is a lot why so much? I will make your tank look top heavy. I would go double that on the height. You will need it if you go MH's Here is a picture of a design I made for my 120. I would mount the lumenbright pendants on the top of the canopy to keep some of the heat out.

If I did T5's only and did white/blue for every other one I can easily fit 6. Then rig some LED moon lights inbetween.

That is the way I would go. Quality reflectors are a good Idea.

Ooo.. I like that site. I can easily wire up parts as well. You all put your ballasts inside the canopy or outside?

Just look around. some sites are cheaper on different things. watch out for shipping.

With the premade fixture you linked there.. ill have a 3/4 inch overhang on bothsides. think that'll work still? Or would building them inside an area and having reflection be better?

It would be fine but I would do the DIY retro fits.

Attachments

• Canopy Final.jpg
    Canopy Final.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 69
I was going to have the stand 1.5inch larger as well. Since Im going with just t5's I'll redesign that. to be liek a half inch to one.

What sort of live stock can I do with t5's only?

That's good to hear.

Would you place those 80mm case fans still in the sides of the tank or no?

Would heat be an issue? - I was kinda thinkin about having the top being about 8inches high, making the lights about 6inches off the water. BUT I'll have a piece of glass or acrylic to protect - and pretty much seal off the lighting from the water. No or go on that?

pixel_trans.gif
Miro-4 T5 Reflector for 54W Bulb & Clips $125.94 x6
Dual T5 Water Resistant Socket$11.34 x3
Dual T5 Base Gasket $0.87 x3
T5 Cover (pictured on left) $8.94 xt6
T5 StandOff $6.75 x3
Fulham Workhorse 7 T5 HO Ballast $103.90 x2
Giesemann Aqua Blue+ 48" 54 watt $74.85 x3
Giesemann Actinic+ 48" 54 Watt $71.85 x3
pixel_trans.gif

Sub-Total: $404.44

That'll give me 15" from edge of #1 reflector to edge of #6 reflector
pixel_trans.gif
these below are not sold in pairs...you will need double.
Dual T5 Water Resistant Sockets 6 total
Dual T6 Base Gasket 6 Total
T5 Cover 12 Total
t5 Stand off 6 total.
That will still be a great deal for a quality system with bulbs.
mark my words. That canopy is going to look funny on a 12.75" tank. I would drop one of the Actinic+ and just run 5 if i cannot get them to fit. or do 6 with a DIY reflector. you can get some deals on 95% reflective sheets.

Id actually have to drop two bulbs to make it fit on the tank. As Ive been reading I think I should start with something little more less complex than a reef tank. FOWLR setup seems like it would be more practical for me to do. Knocking it down to a 3/4 bulbs would be ideal for this wouldnt it? Then MAYBE have enough light for some soft corals?

Id actually have to drop two bulbs to make it fit on the tank. As Ive been reading I think I should start with something little more less complex than a reef tank. FOWLR setup seems like it would be more practical for me to do. Knocking it down to a 3/4 bulbs would be ideal for this wouldnt it? Then MAYBE have enough light for some soft corals?

4 bulbs would be good for LPS, Softies, and most SPS if you place them high in the tank. I would start with FOWLR but don't forget you are going to want corals before you know it so get only reef safe fish. I think the best advise I ever got was to go SLOW. If you think you are going slow enough, slow down some more. Let you tank cycle for a month, Add 1 or 2 fish at a time. You will see a BIG difference in your tank after a year. A lot of the issues you have had will just go away. Sounds like you are doing some research. gather as much info as possible before you start. It will save you money in the long run.

P.S. You will be wanting a bigger tank in under 6 months:)

K good to hear. Would having a black light in the tank pop some coral and fish colors?

Yeah Im def gonna go slow. SW stuff is too darn pricy for me to just experiment with lol. Just trying to find a skimmer that is good for my tank. I'll prolly get a 20 long and make that into a sump. Heres what I have planned for that.

20 Gal long tank
glass plates for divider + 1 acrylic plate.
skimmer - ?
return pump - ?
HOB overflow box - Eshopps PF300 Overflow Box, 10-75 gal tank, Single - AquaCave - need another pump for this? or that box come with one?
PVC piping

img_1166309_0_96ff124e918c928bc85077e7f2c53c31.jpg

Dunno what measurements will be since Im at work and can't get the measurements off the 20 long i have.lol Anything else

Bigger tank is likely once i get into a house. I am in a small one bedroom apartment with my gf at the moment and between my 5 gal FW tank her 20gal long lizard tank and now this 55gal tank Ive run outta room lol. I think a 100-200 gallon tank will be in the works,and if I can wing it I'll bring in natural sunlight.. much like that 700gallon. I really want a display tank thats full of awesome :)

You don't have to have a sump on that tank if you do not want. I know a lot of people use those overflow boxes but there is just too much chance for the siphon breaking and a flood happening. I good quality HOB skimmer like an octopus would be fine with 2 koralia 2 power heads would be enough. that is what I ran on my 55 for almost a year with great results. I have one I will sell you if you are interested (octopus bh-1000).
If you must have a sump and a fuge (you don't need one, there are better methods of nitrate removal fuges are very old school) put the skimmer section on one end and a fuge with the other with a return in the middle. silicon does not stick to acrylic so I would suggest all glass panels

yeah I have been looking at tanks and such and HOB skimmer would be good.

I am interested if the price is right :)

How would you have the power heads? aiming up and to the center of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom