Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on just ordering some stuff from rapid LEDs I plan on doing probably 8 royal blues a and 4 cool whites but I'm new to LEDs not sure if that's over kill or not what would you guys recommend for a 10 gal frag tank?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also have a question for all the saltwater people do you guys prefer refugium or a phosban reactor and if refugium what would you put in there?

Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any advice on how man LEDs I should do or anything ?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan_tyler View Post
I plan on just ordering some stuff from rapid LEDs I plan on doing probably 8 royal blues a and 4 cool whites but I'm new to LEDs not sure if that's over kill or not what would you guys recommend for a 10 gal frag tank?
Right now I have one of the panels for my 90 gallon over my 29 gallon tank. I have the lights dimmed to ~ 50% whites and ~60% blues. And with my lps I wouldn't go any higher. The panel has 10 blue 9 white and some green red and violet mixed in. I hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

What would you recommend for a 10 gal?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is tough. The LEDs only dim to 30 to 40%. You could probably get away with 5 blue and 4 white. With these you would only need one driver and a way to dim the lights. It would be pretty affordable.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

What all am I going to need to get I got the LEDs, end plug, cement, heatsink, hanging kit, What all do I need to get it running like the ac or adapter I'm kinda confused on that part
Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will need a power supply, it will plug into ac and provide doc power. They come with instructions for adjusting them for the proper current, you will need a multimeter for that as well. Depending on the number of LEDs you are using and the control you want you will need to select the power supply. http://www.rapidled.com/dimmable-drivers/
I am using the 48p drivers, you can run 8 to 14 LEDs with this. If you want independent control of the colors you could go with the 27p or d drivers, they run 5 to 8 LEDs. Selecting the p or d is a personal preference depending on how you want to control them. You can get a dimmer knob for the d and just use a simple timer. I have the p and use an arduino micro controller to control the driver with a pwm signal. I have it programmed do fade on in the morning and out at night. It can be done fairly easy with any programming experience.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com