Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by Ingy
Look at what this guy has. You could probably do something very similar or use it for ideas

I like that, looks super simple. I'll have to see if I have anyone who can get led's at a super low cost.

Was considering using a pc power supply with a molex power dimmer for the lights, and wire the on off switche. Also use it for the fans on heat dump.

My other option is to see what the store owner is willing to get me tomorrow.

I'm out of a job right now, and free lancing where I can while looking for something new. I had a 40 gal tank I returned to a different pet shop knowing he was setting me up, so I'm out no money, but have none to invest in this tank. Really counting on this shop, or I'll be selling the setup I get for my work.

Bkmrsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You could use a pc power supply, but you would have to wire whatever LEDs you use to end up at 12v. For example if you LEDs were 3v (forward voltage) you would need to wire 4 emitters in a series for them to work. You couldn't send the full 12v to one led. I used 10w LEDs and they are close to 12v (like 11.6v or close) and they would work with a pc power supply. Most led drivers are constant current, a pc psu is constant voltage

As far as LEDs go, 1w are about $1 ea, 3w are around $2-$4 ea 10w are $6-$9 ea,

Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, led, light, lights, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com