Diy led lights for reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been doing computer work for a lfs. The shop owner is trading me a tank setup for the work done, and comes with everything but the lights.

I had seen some posts before on this, and being a computer tech I have know how, but what sort of cost really is involved in this? Also, what would be a good amount of leds for a reef tank?

I also need a small light for the plants that will live in the sump tank.

Ps. The tank is a 75 gal with stand and top. Comes with a sump tank filter, overflow box, return pump, protean skimmer, live sand, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something more. I'm excited!

It depends if it's a reef tank or not. If it is, it depends what corals your going to keep. For the refugium light, just get one of those clip on lights a home depot. They actually work great.

He has told me hill work with me to build corral in it. Showed me a "sea apple" he was excited about. Thing was cool, about the size if a soft ball all closed up

Do not get a sea apple. If they die (which they almost always do) they actually wipe out your whole tank. What do you mean build coral?

I agree with Crister, sea apples are beautiful, but can be deadly to ALL its tank mates! Best left at the LFS, to die in their tank.

crister13 said:
Do not get a sea apple. If they die (which they almost always do) they actually wipe out your whole tank. What do you mean build coral?

Not build, but grow. I know almost nothing about salt water and want to start slow and grow stuff.

so with a no on the sea apple, I would still love some advice ideas for lights.

Thanks all

As far as LED lighting for a 75g, the range of price is pretty large. The lower end of the spectrum, would be Taotronics 120w dimmables. You would need 2 units for about $200 a piece.
The higher end would be EcoTech Radions, at about $600 a piece, also needing 2 units. These are fully programmable, and can even simulate a lightning storm, but you pay for the bells and whistles.
Advantage of LED, would be no bulb replacement, which can get costly with other types of lighting, and virtually no heat.

Sorry steel, I didn't read the first word of your title...DIY. DIY LED is not in my league. I believe a poster here Saratj1 built his own, maybe private message him, or find his thread.
Again...sorry

I saw some 10k led ribbon lights in 5 ft lengths. The ribbons are waterproof and perfect for attaching to the underside of a custom hood. And you can have them dimmable as well. With your background you could even add a PLC to create a fully programmable light system.
I don't remember the mfg of the ribbon lights but you should be able to find that.
I'll find the link to an example someone else posted

Ingy said:
Look at what this guy has. You could probably do something very similar or use it for ideas

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/3036763790.html

I like that, looks super simple. I'll have to see if I have anyone who can get led's at a super low cost.

Was considering using a pc power supply with a molex power dimmer for the lights, and wire the on off switche. Also use it for the fans on heat dump.

My other option is to see what the store owner is willing to get me tomorrow.

I'm out of a job right now, and free lancing where I can while looking for something new. I had a 40 gal tank I returned to a different pet shop knowing he was setting me up, so I'm out no money, but have none to invest in this tank. Really counting on this shop, or I'll be selling the setup I get for my work.

You could use a pc power supply, but you would have to wire whatever LEDs you use to end up at 12v. For example if you LEDs were 3v (forward voltage) you would need to wire 4 emitters in a series for them to work. You couldn't send the full 12v to one led. I used 10w LEDs and they are close to 12v (like 11.6v or close) and they would work with a pc power supply. Most led drivers are constant current, a pc psu is constant voltage

As far as LEDs go, 1w are about $1 ea, 3w are around $2-$4 ea 10w are $6-$9 ea,

Back
Top Bottom