DIY Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a reef environment you can let the rock sit in and let life start growing on it for a few years you don't need to buy live rock.

You don't need all live rock for your tank. You can use dry rock for up to 80% of it and then spend money on the good stuff for the rest. I use Feller Stone's Antique Coral dry rock, 50# box runs about $100 from the LFS. Then spend the money on the best live rock you can find. It may be worth it to just buy some aquacultured rock online. I had a customer get some for about $5/lb shipped and when he got it had live brain corals and sea fans on it.

I would use up to 80% of base rock (dried coral rock harvested on pacific islands) and 20% of real LR. That depends on your tank size a bit as shipped LR comes in 45# boxes. The The Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock 40lbs is about $2.00/pound with shipping.

Natural base and live rock is very porous which allows huge colonies of beneficial bacteria to coat it. It also has deep recesses with little flow which allows for some denitrification (turning nitrate into harmless nitrogen).

Back
Top Bottom