DIY refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to make a refugium, I'm gonna try to do the whole thing myself. Can someone maybe give me a list of supplies, and directions? Or if not, a link to a site would be great too.
Thanks!

You basically need a tank (I used a 20L), an acrylic sheet or glass that it cut from a glass shop, 100% silicone, an overflow to get water from your tank to the fuge, and a return pump.

You could use 2 rubbermaid containers (base the size on your main tank). You'll need some pvc piping to make piping , then you want to connect the 2 bins with a piece of pvc piping, pok some holes in the pvc coming into the first bin. That bin will contain your dsb and chaeto or crushed liverock.. Then your second bin will have the protein skimmer and return pump. I know it sounds confusing but I can take some upclose pics of mine for you and post them later tonight. I prefer the rubbermaid method because you can disassemble it and remove for whatever reason, if you have a tank refugium, you can't remove it without emptying/moving the dt

The OP wants to make a refugium. refugiums don't contain protein skimmers. Unless you are saying refugium, but you are meaning a sump with a refugium built in.
What size display is this for Ben? They sell HOB refugiums that are quite convenient for smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom