Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

DIY sump help

Alright so I will be adding a sump and a refugium under my 100g. They will be separate because I have a low stand with lots of legs that requires me to have 2. I'm not worried about fuge yet, only sump. How many overflow u pipes would I want for the sump only?1 or 2? How would I do the filtration part, use the socks or bio balls or what?I have been doing research and know that I will have to use bubble traps because I will have a protein skimmer. But do I just want to leave enough room for the skimmer part? Or have a little extra space in each chamber? And depending on the overflow, how strong does the return pump need to be because I just need less than 3ft of hosing for return? And how would I put the little black wavy seperaters on the return pump? The ones that help distribute the water more and... Well yeah? Sorry about soo many questions, wanna screw up as little as possible. Any tips would be nice.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nobody?

Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

it all depends on the flow you want in your sump and your return size.

as far as what kind of filtration media, if you have a refugium you don't really want bio balls, they are used mroe for wet dry trickle filters and fish only setups, they become nitrate factories and your reef will not do so well. you can stick with normal filter floss and chemipure with whatever kind of reactors you want (if any) your skimmer in the sump section and your heater. thats really all you will need to have. then in the fuge section, put your LR and sand or fuge mud and micro algaes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright, thanks. Still though if I have a sump and a fuge on separate tanks and overflows, should I stick with 2 1" u tubes in my overflow. I think I saw somewhere for every one in u tube, it carries down 300 gph. So two u tubes for 600? And isnt it the faster your return pump, the faster the overall drain rate. So like a 800gph return pump be good? And what size uv sterilizer would I need and how would I add that? Sump or fuge? And the heater goes in the same spot as protein skimmer? Thanks for help...
Old 04-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I forgot to add, where the water enters my sump, could I just have a wall with like a sponge clearner deal? So like where the water enters my sump, it pours onto a thick sponge for filtration?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well you can have one overflow and connect then to your sump, and plumb your sump to go through to your fuge and then back you your return section.

yeah you could have a spong but you will have to clean it often or once again it will become a nitrate shop

Tags
diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com