dkh and calcium HELP!!! please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

My LFS sold me some API test kits for alkalinity and calcium.

DKH is 14-15 drops; thats too high right? How do I bring it down?

Calcium is up about 560.

My ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are all 0

Is something wrong? Something I should check/worry about?

I got my first hammer coral in there, and it closes up with my lunars come on, not sure if thats normal.

Thank you

I don't use API, so what does 14-15 drops equal in either dKH or meq/l?
What brand salt are you using and what is your salinity?

I don't use API, so what does 14-15 drops equal in either dKH or meq/l?
What brand salt are you using and what is your salinity?

I am using reef crystals salt

Salinity is right at 1.023

15 drops = 15 dkh per API chart

ozorowsky said:
Hi all,

My LFS sold me some API test kits for alkalinity and calcium.

DKH is 14-15 drops; thats too high right? How do I bring it down?

Calcium is up about 560.

My ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are all 0

Is something wrong? Something I should check/worry about?

I got my first hammer coral in there, and it closes up with my lunars come on, not sure if thats normal.

Thank you

The hammer coral does retract during night time. That is normal.
What kind of lighting do you have? Does your hammer coral "expand" when your lights are on?

The hammer coral does retract during night time. That is normal.
What kind of lighting do you have? Does your hammer coral "expand" when your lights are on?

I have Odyssea lighting; 250w metal halide, 4 10k actinics, and the lunar LED's.

Yes hammer coral expands when the lights are on :) :) I saw it open this morning.

Both of those levels are considerably higher than what you should be getting with Reef Crystals. You should be getting around 490 calcium and 13 dKH for alk.
What are you using to test your salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer?
Try testing a freshly made mix before you put it in the tank and see if the parameters are the same. Are you adding any supplements at all?

Both of those levels are considerably higher than what you should be getting with Reef Crystals. You should be getting around 490 calcium and 13 dKH for alk.
What are you using to test your salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer?
Try testing a freshly made mix before you put it in the tank and see if the parameters are the same. Are you adding any supplements at all?

No supplements at all; I'm using a hydrometer for salinity.

I will try the freshly made mix tonight and post my results.

I'm using a hydrometer for salinity
That can definitely be the problem. If your salinity is higher than the hydrometer reads, both ca and alk will be elevated. Can you check it with a refractometer?

That can definitely be the problem. If your salinity is higher than the hydrometer reads, both ca and alk will be elevated. Can you check it with a refractometer?

I had the salinity checked by the LFS and they got same as me on their hydrometer. I don't think its higher than 1.023

Back
Top Bottom