Do all corals & anemones hurt to touch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFrick31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What types of corals hurt?

What types of anemones hurt?

Do they all hurt or are there some that you can touch?

The ones that do hurt, is it minor pain so that you can still touch them anyway if you want to? Or is it a great deal of pain?

Can any corals or anemones kill you?

What's the most aggressive types of corals and anemones? And by that I mean which ones move the fastest and eat the most?

Thanks everyone!

What interesting questions! Corals and anemones don't hurt to touch (well none of mine do) BUT they don't like being touched, so I would advise against it. Some corals are considered aggressive towards other corals and anemones can sting corals, hurting them. You can feed some corals and anemones but you don't need to, they usually get all they need from the correct lighting.

I got a little sting from my torch coral once, it was soo weird. A small whitish spot appeared on my finger afterwards. I was scraping the coralline algae near him and felt a pricking feeling. Normally clownfish are worse than anemones are for hurting you :p they really won't hesitate to "bite the hand that feeds them."

In terms of dying, I hope nobody would die from any corals/Nem's. :eek:

The most painful thing I can think of that might come about as a result of having a saltwater tank is probably a fireworm sting. Well, techincally not a sting. They have thousands of tiny spines that slough off and stick in human skin, causing intense burning and after effects for 3 weeks. I saw a picture of a 3 foot long fireworm caught in somebody's sump on canreef once. Gruesome >.<

Does that somewhat answer your question? :)

Corals won't likely kill you but some carry toxins that may if you are not careful. Look up coral toxins.

When snorkling/scuba diving you have to watch out for them because the skeletons are sharp, but in the aquarium we dont have to worry about stepping on them usually lol.

Zoanthids and palthoas contain something called palytoxin which is one of the most deadly natural toxins known. Some research on that might be a good idea. Not touching it directly isn't dangerous necessarily, but if you have cuts on your fingers it could be. Also, boiling your rock that might have some zoas on it would produce a deadly gas.

Back
Top Bottom