Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogspawn
ok so i imagin if they lose this stuff they die?
Yes. It's called bleaching.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogspawn
ok so i imagin if they lose this stuff they die?
If they lose all of it yes. Generally when you see it coming out of the mouth it's a sign of either stress or overproducing it. My guess is stress, like MT said. It's not terribly bad, but it means that it's stressed out and you need to fix something.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

it still seems very happy. i wont feed it again and my lights are on a 5hr time i bumped it back from 6 yesterday. i wanted to go back slowy to advoid shock to the other corals as well. it was bad enough that 1 day they had 10hrs of light and the next day when i placed him in only 7. that cant be good for the little dudes. so i tryed to do it slowy. its on a 5hr now and will stay there till ziggy picks it up.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

He should be fine till tomorrow when Ziggy picks him up
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i hope he comes. i been trying to write him all day and i have not heard back from him. i hope all's ok.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think Ziggy was runnning to a bunch of LFSs yesterday.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
they had 10hrs of light and the next day when i placed him in only 7. that cant be good for the little dudes. so i tryed to do it slowy. its on a 5hr now
Cutting back on lighitng, temporarily, will not harm corals. It's generally a sudden increase in lighting, change in K(color), or both, they have trouble with. Reefs, at least some I'm aware of, do have a stormy season. So a day or two, maybe more, w/ out much sunlight is not anything new. Decreasing the photoperiod a few hours is no big deal. HTH
Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I was all over the place and didn't even read this thread...as it is I now have the anemone and he is in my tank..i have a LOT more lighting then Forgspawn does...I have the MH off on his side of the tank and wont turn it on until tomorrow and I'll only give him about 4 hours of light...He seems happy and is already coming off the rock he was on when I took him from Frogspawns tank and is burying his foot. nicely expanded and has good color. I will watch for him expelling any more Zoox as I'm sure that is what it was. This is a far amount of stress on him being moved like this but I think he will come through it with flying colors! BTW...I've named him Sticky....because that is what he did to my hand...LOL As soon as I download and crop the pics I took of him I will post them in a new thread......
Old 04-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

With all the changes lately, I would recommend going one step farther w/ light acclimation at this point, especially since you have more lighting. In addition to a shortened photoperiod, adding a layer or two of screening on the top of the tank will reduce shock/stress. It allows new additions to more slowly adapt to more lighting, or even just changes in K. Remove a layer after 5-8 days, depending on the anemones behavior. This is what I do for all my new SPS additions, and IME it is MUCH less stressful. Being in three different tanks under three different lighting set ups on such short order is going to be stressful. Best to be safe than sorry. HTH
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree...and infact I dug out the screen after I posted that message to do exactly that..This is one georgous anemone and I want him to thrive!!!!!

Tags
anenome, poop

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com