Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do Coco Tube worms need to be fed?

Does Coco Tube worms need to be fed? If needed, what food should I purchase? I have a white feather and another brown in colour, which I don't know its actual name. By the way, would the worm construct the tube longer as time goes by?

Old 07-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
steve-s

Yes the coco does require feeding and can be a dificult creature to keep thriving. They are considered to be one of the hardiest tube dwellers you could find but that is providing they get enough nourishment. Finely minced raw seafoods fortified with a good quality marine vitamin are best. >>Here<< is a good thread to reference for that.

They also grow from hard calcerous tubes, rather than the slime/detritus ones like "dusters". Proper water chemistry should be maintained to ensure healthy growth.

When feeding these types of animals I find encompasing them in a feeding apparatus makes life much easier. I have attached a pic of the one I use for the corals I need to feed regularly as some need more "TLC" than others. Not my original idea, but borrowed, still a great contraption.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The LFS owner introduce me a vitamin added liquid food, they told me to drop 5 drops into my 13 gallon tank, but would the coco tube worm really absorb the fluid?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
steve-s

Depends on the vitamin and how it's used. Yes they would get some if added in sufficient quantity to the tank. But that method is sort of like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer though.

The 3 main vitamins used in the hobby with any reliability are Vita-Chem, Zoe and Selcon. All will help if used properly. Instead of adding it generally to the tank where carbon/resin products and the skimmer can pull it out, add a drop or two to the food you will use to feed them and let it soak for ˝-1 hr. That way you are fortifying their foods and they will get direct benefit from the additions.

If the vitamin is already contained in the food the LFS recommended could you post the brand name?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the brand name is "JBL Korall Fluid". Should not be in english.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
steve-s

JBL Korall Fluid looks much like a fortified filter food. I have never use or seen it before so I cannot really comment on it's quality or affectiveness. I guess the proof will be in it's use. Have you already been using the JBL and have the coco's shown any improvement since. Has it affected the water quality?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The water quality remain the same. Reguarding the coco tube worm improvement, i'm not too sure either, because the c.tube worm looks the same everyday. I don't even know if they really absorb/eat the liquid food.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #8
steve-s

I would just continue as you have been then. Mabye it's best just at the fact there is no decline in health. As stated earlier, make sure you keep the alk/Ca in check as this worm needs them to grow it's tube.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Btw how do i increase the calcium level?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:26 AM   #10
steve-s

How large is the tank and what is your normal maintenance routine? Also what test kits do you have?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tube, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com