Do cucumbers kill corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when they die they release toxins that can kill everything

No it's still alive it's just massively fat and rubbing against lower corals and just wanted to know if they could harm here's a picture.

Attachments

• image-2505814206.jpg
    image-2505814206.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 119
not that i know of, and if it was you would know your corals would show signs of stress. unless you see them deflate or it showing its sceleton then i wouldn't worry to much

Yeah that very small head on the back of the cucumber is showing skeleton and the next to it died a while back. Is there any other reason?

Woke up and this is what I see. I'm really starting to hate fish keeping.

Attachments

• image-1557238077.jpg
    image-1557238077.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 94
It's already dead though and skeleton is showing. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I am having this exact issue. My coral has been growing and doing fine. A few days ago the cucumber was wrapped around it and now half of the heads are DEAD. I was suspect of the cucumber so when I googled the same question you had this thread came up. I am going to move one of them today and see what happens! Seems like too much of a coincidence that we are both having this issue.

What kind of cucumber do you have?. Tiger tails seem to be the most popular and I have seen them touch all sorts of corals with no ill effects. As for the frogspawn in the pictures, those bottom heads have been dead long enough to have coralline grow over them. I see one new head lost, and it makes me wonder about something else, like maybe flow at the sand bed.

Yes, I have a tiger tail. My coral is also frogspawn, yesterday I moved the cucumber away from the coral and within a short time it was looking happier. Obviously the dead pieces aren't going to come back but I am hoping not to loose any more. The branches died off so quickly, just a couple of days so I will know pretty quickly if the issue is solved.
Seems strange but it is what it is!

There are about a million things I haven't seen yet in this hobby, but I'm pretty sure if just about anything was rubbing against the flesh of a LPS, it would retract and appear stressed.
I haven't seen one die as a result though.

Back
Top Bottom