Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do I Commit To New Reef?

10 yrs ago I had a beautiful reef tank going. Only problem was the war on undetected crabs, parasites, etc. in new liverock I added to the tank. They ate alot of cool stuff (like braincoral) during the night. Oh well... Question I now ask is: Do I commit to a new reef? And, if so, what am I likely to spend in today's $ to get it up and going? I have a 50gal tank, hood, light, and pumps. What will everything else cost and have there been improvements in technology of care, etc. since 10 yrs ago?

Go slow and carry a big sponge-- soak it all in!
Reefjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

The cost of a new reef will depend heavily on the lighting you need to keep what you want and how handy you are. If you can DIY alot of stuff, the cost comes down, if your only wanting softies, the lights won't be as expensive, etc... It's hard to put a price tag on it, for my SPS 20g tank I've spent between $1500 and $2000. LOL, but I can DIY myself right into the hospital and still have to buy a prefab item, also I have a prefad MH pendant lighting system.

Whether to commit to a new one...I'm gonna say yes, if you had one before and you liked it, there is no going back. Some reefers are successful in setting up a FO or FOWLR tank if they already have a reef, but if your a reefer and only have one tank, it's gonna end up being a reef sooner or later, might as well save yourself the trouble of switching later and start out reef now.

There have been many advances in the last 10 years, the most profound of which is to less technology usually equals a better tank. We attack the filtration with mother nature and allow the rock and sad to biologically filter the water, add a protien skimmer to remove excess waste and add strong lights and water mothion and your on your way. If you really want to though....there are still plenty of gadgets you can add to your tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com