Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Do i have iron in my water?

i have had my aquarium up for a couple of months and jusy now brown stuff has appeared on the rocks. I know my hard water has iron in it and that is the water i use ti fill the aquarium. I could be diatoms because they seem to go away a little and come back. But if it is iron is it harmful to the fish and what can i do to get rid of it? should i use softwater instead? Thanks for any help!

30 gallon FO tank
2 clowns
1 blue chromis
1 blue starfish
hermits & snails

TeenReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to pufferman
i have softwater in my house, due to the troubles we have with calcium deposits. If you can, get a Reverse Osmosis System and that should take out any inpurities in the water. Its better to get the drinking water system kind because you can use it as drinking water as well. If you need a certain model, i have the Kinetico drinking water system at http://kinetico.com/residntl/index2.htm its in the purfecta drinking water system category. Take a look. Otherwise, it might not even be iron thats causing your algae bloom. It might be phosphates or nitrates in the mains water. the only way is to test for dissolved solids.

30 gallon SW tank;EHEIM ECCO 2235 Canister Filter w/Miracle-Working Chemi-Pure
TetraTec UV1 UV Sterilizer;Rio 50 Powerhead ;130w PC lighting;33 Lbs. of Tonga Branch LR;Nature's Ocean Live Sand (the bagged stuff)
Livestock:2-Ocellaris Clownfish;9-Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs;1-Regal Tang;Zoanthids, Pineapple Brain coral, Sebae Anemone, Colt Coral, Galaxea
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks. I started a different thread in the reef-general discussion area and am recieving help there. I'll try and post a pic of the stuff.

TeenReefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com