Do I have the right idea for a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so here is the plan.

I have 30lbs. of hirock.com product and 30lbs of LR coming. What seems to be the most humane thing would be to let the tank cycle with rocks. I was going to wait a couple of weeks then add in a clean up crew (just to keep the algae growth down and keep everything under control). Once the tank has leveled out and things seem to be normal, I would add in my fish.

Does this seem to be a good and humane plane? If not, please explain what I am missing, or how this could be better.

thanks

Do your complete cycle with the lr. When your amm and nitrite are at zero each, do a 30 to 50% water change then add your cleaning crew/fish slowly. Maybe cleaning crew, wait a week or so , then one or two fish at a time every couple of weeks. Let your bio filter get a chance to catch up each time you buy new fish. Not to many at once, and don't forget to qt them.

I agree that it's a good cycle method. Like already mentioned, you will want to wait til your nitrites drop to 0 and you've done a good water change before adding anything.

I cycled my hirocks with shrimp and then added LR later. if it's already "on the way" it's too late for that approach.

Back
Top Bottom