Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I have the right idea for a cycle

Ok, so here is the plan.

I have 30lbs. of hirock.com product and 30lbs of LR coming. What seems to be the most humane thing would be to let the tank cycle with rocks. I was going to wait a couple of weeks then add in a clean up crew (just to keep the algae growth down and keep everything under control). Once the tank has leveled out and things seem to be normal, I would add in my fish.

Does this seem to be a good and humane plane? If not, please explain what I am missing, or how this could be better.

Aqualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do your complete cycle with the lr. When your amm and nitrite are at zero each, do a 30 to 50% water change then add your cleaning crew/fish slowly. Maybe cleaning crew, wait a week or so , then one or two fish at a time every couple of weeks. Let your bio filter get a chance to catch up each time you buy new fish. Not to many at once, and don't forget to qt them.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree that it's a good cycle method. Like already mentioned, you will want to wait til your nitrites drop to 0 and you've done a good water change before adding anything.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I cycled my hirocks with shrimp and then added LR later. if it's already "on the way" it's too late for that approach.
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com