Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do I have to deionize water?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get the water and everything setup after I get the tank tomorrow.

I was just wondering if you have to use a reverse osmosis system? I really didn't want to plunk down the $150 on a filter, if possible.

Can I just use filtered tap water? What are the benefits?

Advice needed!

Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
RO/DI water is basically 99.997% pure water. The advantages include no nutrients to promote algae blooms, no need for dechlorination, and just general tank health. It's not recommended to use tap, but it's not absolutely against the rules. I would say that if you are going to have a FO tank it would be less inadvisable than if you have a reef tank. Reef tanks really shouldn't use tap.

As far as the filter goes, you don't have to have one. Most LFS's will sell you RO/DI water for $0.30 to $0.50 per gallon. I purchase my RO/DI water from a drinking water store nearby that sells for $0.30 a gallon, and it works out excellently for me.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks!

My main concern is with the intial fill up. Its a 150 gallon tank and I can't see my self bringing home 150 jugs of water.

Any other alternatives
Old 04-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
If I were in your situation and I didn't want to buy a RO/DI filter, I would fill the tank with tap water and get it started. Then, I would make all my water changes with RO/DI after that. I can't think of any alternatives at the moment.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #5

Does anyone know if a LFS will rent a reverse osmosis system?
Old 04-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the amount of water you will be needing for starting the tank and then your water changes after it cycles, you will be better off doing as Guage suggested, and use tap in the beginning. While your tank is cycling, you have about 6 weeks to squirrel away the money for an RO/DI. Check out some of the AA sponsors for a system. I personally use and recommend a Typhoon system from Airwaterice.com.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have to disagree with you two on using tap water at first. It would take so many water changes to get it the way you want it that it would be worth it to wait and get the RO/DI unit first. I had a friend that had to drain a 600 gallon tank that had used tap water which we replaced with RO/DI water because of algae issues. Just not worth the headache I think unless you like algae 8O . Just my opinion.

JOSH

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com