Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to just get a canister filter. The overflow box would have set me back $65, the return pump $40-$60, the tubing etc. approx. $15, tank $10, glass/plastic dividers $?, silicone $10 ...... and then there's the fear that the 10 gal sump (which is all that will fit in my narrow stand) will overflow in an outage. Went with canister - which I'm used to and comfortable with. Thanks for the help. Did notice that the LFS has Rubbermaid bins willed with bioballs and/or live rock as sumps. I'm sure it's simple, but with the limited space I have I don't think it will work.

nwsharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
As long as you have a good amount of rock and a good skimmer and a few power heads you can get by with out filter or sump , just be sure you keep up on your weekly water changes and you should be fine ,
now if you were to do a sump you could use a rubber maid tote and a do it yourself overflow made out of a old hob filter

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com