do i need a powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a SW 101 question...

i have a 75gal tank i would like to setup for SW (i am a first timer) and i am researching the equipment i need (want?). at any rate, do i need a powerhead? i plan on starting with a FOWLR. what is the purpose of the powerhead? is it for circulation? if so, how does this help the tank environment?

Yes you do need PH's. I would say at least 2 to 3. Well I am sure there are some more scientific reasons as to why, but my reason is this. First it makes a more natural environment for the inhabitants, and keeps down stress levels. It also keeps food that you have fed blowing around until either it is eaten or picked up by the skimmer, or filter. HTH! :wink:

I'm relatively knew to SW myself (about 4 months) but i'm pretty sure a powerhead is not only used for circulation but for water movement (flow).

Powerheads keep the watermovement and circulation high. You Ideally want a very chaotic waterflow. for a 75 gallon tank you will want a waterflow of 750-1500 gph.

2 or 3 large Power Heads will do it!

Marine fish need alot of water movement, they are used to it in their natural environment and are stressed without it. Corals, sponges, anenomes and other inverts will die without a high amount of water movement.

I have a 37 gallon tank with a flow of somewhere around 450 GPH.

Check out my gallery to see how I have placed My Powerhead oppisite the exit of my Canister Filter and both streams meet in the middle and create a chaotic flow.

excellent. thanks for the informative replies.

RocketSeason... thanks for the reference to ur picture.

You also need good water movement within the tank for your LR to work adequately as a biofilter.

Back
Top Bottom