Do i need a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the reason i started this is because yesterday i got a green mandarin goby without knowing how much care they required and the person at the fish store told me i could feed it brine shrimp but i fed it and it isnt eating anything at all so I did some more research and found they need codepods to survive,I have a 37g saltwater tank with 30lbs of live rock, 20lbs of live sand and is stocked with:

-2 tomato clowns
-1 lemon peel angel
-1 emerald crab
-1 diamond watchman goby
-1 green mandarin goby
-1 decorator crab
-1 peppermint shrimp

I have a canister filter and my lights are coral life 10,000k T5s if that helps at all!

Thanks!!!

if you have a sump throw some cheato and a light down there and that should help populate with pods...

It's very likely that this fish will starve if you don't have a good source of live copepods. Most people have a refugium just so they can breed pods but it's no guarantee that you will be able to produce enough pods to sustain a mandarin. You can possibly feed it live baby brine shrimp but that's a large pain. Even if you do set up a refugium it will take quite a while to seed it with a decent pod population. You could also take a look at how to train them to eat frozen food.

I would honestly suggest taking it back to the store and buying a different fish and in the future ask to see them feed a fish such as that before going out and buying one.

I agree. A refugium won't cut it. Your tank is too small, too young, and not enough rock to sustain a mandarin. Return it for credit.

I'm glad you did :) It's always great to see people put the health of the fish above their own personal preference.

I would be wary of a puffer with cabs and shrimp dependant on the type. I had valentini which was fine but a lot aren't

Just make sure you feed the valentini well and should be no issues from my experience

You'll need some clams or something too to grind his teeth down. And mine was fussy about eating for first three days but after that would eat from my hand

I got mine from my lfs just needs to be something with a hard shell to grind the puffers teeth on

You can get clams at the grocery store. I use those about once a week for my puffer.

Back
Top Bottom