Do I need a "special" light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jahdisp25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I have a basic 29 gallon tank, with stand, and hood with fluorescent lighting. I was told, that I need some kinda of special light that requires and internal fan because of the heat it generates and it would run me around $200? Is that really necessary? or can I use what I have?

If that is the case, I will just set up a freshwater tank instead. Thanks

yeah if you want coral you will need a heavy duty light..... I am a freshy so won;t be able to tell you a minimum requirement for coral lighting.

It all depends on what you plan on keeping. If you are going to be FO or FOWLR (fish only or fish only with live rock) then any lighting will do. Lighting becomes more important as you move into some species of the invertebrates (anemones for example) and a flat our requirement for coral. Keep in mind you can always start at FO/FOWLR and move up to the others and upgrade your lighting then.

You do not need to spend a small fortune to have a SW tank. You can and if you stay in the hobby long enough will....

Yeah I just want to keep what I can keep with the set up that I currently have, I plan to get some live rock as well. so FOWLR for now until I get the hang of things and progress with it.

Now I was told that I can use the Whisper power filter I have as a filter for a SW tank is that correct?

Sure is

You'll need to clean it and remember the bacteria for SW and FW are different.. so the filter/tank will need to be cycled from scratch

Back
Top Bottom