Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do i need cleanup crew yet?

I've just added 30 lbs of live rock to my 55 yesterday...i've only got 4 damsels and 5 hremits (one of which came on the rock, along w/a snail that looked somewhat like a bumblebee snail, but i havent seen that since.

anyways, now that i've got lr do i need a cleanup crew? I know that my hermits arent enough. I'm planning to get 6 chromis and a flame angel in about a month, maybe another fish later. Should i get a type of shrimp like a peppermint or a coral banded? or should i just get a bunch of snails?
I'd like to know as soon as possible, as i'm gonna try to get them today, and i cant do it much later than noon.
also, sand is not live, if that changes anything.
thanks.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

first off, you are probably going to notice a nitrogen spike unless the rocks were cured already. Your damsels may make it through it, they are hardy, but don't be surprised if your hermits perish.

Once your levels are back in check and you show no evidence of ammonia or nitrite and your nitrates are around 10ppm, you can add a clean up crew.

I would add some cerith, astrea and margarita snails (5 -10 each) then several blue-leg hermits (20 - 30) and a few scarlet hermits (3 -5).

Keep in mind that they need to eat to survive so the numbers I gave you are only a ballpark figure and may be too many or not enough.

My concern is the 4 damsels you have.... very aggressive, and usually best behaved when added last. They may harass your new fish. I also think 11 fish, as you mentioned may not be a wise move for a 55G tank.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh srry forgot to add that it was already cured...got it from a guy who's had it in his tanks for 6 months...that'd be long enough to have time to cure wouldnt you think?
crap...and i'm also sorry for adding that i wont have the damsels w/the others. i'm trading in the damsels for the green chromis, and buying a couple extra (the place i got em' from sell both for the same price). I've just had the damsels since it got done cycling a while ago just to have something to look at while i waited to get my rock , and i'll be trading someone for a skimmer in about a month. (didnt wanna get my final fish till EVERYTHING is complete). jeez, i'm being forgetfull lately!
anyways...should i wait till i get the other fish before the cleanup crew?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
oh srry forgot to add that it was already cured...got it from a guy who's had it in his tanks for 6 months...that'd be long enough to have time to cure wouldnt you think?
It will be cured then....no problems there.

trading the damsels is probably a good move for a more peaceful tank.

You can get a small clean up crew going on your tank, use the lower numbers on the ones I gave you and add as needed once you stock more fish.

you can always throw some pellets in there for them to feed on if scavenging becomes difficult.

Tags
clean, cleanup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com