Do I need to Re-Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I lost my only fish (midas blenny) a little over a week ago, I decided to allow the tank to go fallow for 6 weeks (just in case). Do I need to cycle the tank again prior to getting a new fish?

Current tank inhabitants are:
1 huge peppermint shrimp w/ eggs
2 hermits
2 large astrea snails & a ton of babies
2 peanut worms
lots o' sabellid worms

10lbs live rock, 25lbs arragonite sand
halimedea
some green leafy algae
lots of coralline algae (pink, red, green)

Whenever you let a tank go fallow for any period of time, you need to keep feeding the tank no matter what's in it. The added ammonia source will keep the bacteria fed at least to a small degree. A small pinch of flake, few sinking pellets or very small amount of meaty foods twice a week.

If you have not been doing that I would suggest you start and post the parameters of the tank. NH3, NO2 and NO3 are going to be your only guide of if the tank need a "boost". After only a week you should be fine and with the current inhabitants it will make it a tough prospect to cycle the tank anew anyway.

Cheers
Steve

Good news! I have been feeding the tank a couple times a week. The peppermint shrimp loves flake food. I'll check my log when I get home & post the parameters (all were 0 on Wednesday, I have to run all again today)

Back
Top Bottom