Do I need to secure the the rocks in this pile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agent Kooper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a photo of the new tank I'm cycling. That's about 15 pounds of base rock, well planted in the sand and stacked in a way that seems fairly stable. I haven't used anything to fix the rock in place (e.g., epoxy, dowel rods, etc.). Is this going to stay together, or will my inverts knock things around. I'm leery of turbo snails. I'm aware that for more ambitious designs people would recommend securing the rock, but wonder if it's necessary for a basic little mound like this.

image-1510665794.jpg

If everything is secure then you should be ok but if your really concerned get a little aquarium putty and bond some together to solidify the structure. If your like me and can never set himself on a layout only putty what's necessary. Looks good though I love the tank.

The thing is if you get fish or inverts that move the sand too much then it can topple it down. For instance my Orangespot diamond head goby digs caves under the rock so they can fall unless you put the rock on the tank bottom and then added the sand.

You said "well planted in the sand". Does that mean the rock is all the way to the bottom of the glass? If so, then you should be good. If not, then I would push them down to the glass and then stack them. You never know what kinda fish you'll get down the road, and as mentioned, some will dig in The sand and can cause a rock slide if the rocks are just sitting in the sand.

Those two or three rocks on the top don't look to secure to me, I would move them or secure them better

Back
Top Bottom