Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do I need to start with some live rock?

I'm starting up a 55g, currently I only have 37lbs of base rock, is it ok if I just add 40lbs of base rock to it and then start my cycling process or do I need to add at least a couple of rocks that are already live? I'm thinking all my base rock will turn live once I start the cycling process...

Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you will need live rock to seed the base rock (if it is dry) ... if your base rock has been in an established tank get one or 2 small nice pieces with coraline on it to seed the base rock ... the rock will have some die off that will start your cycle

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will just one or two good sized live rocks be enough to seed the tank?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellz View Post
... I'm thinking all my base rock will turn live once I start the cycling process...
All depends on your definition of "live."

Yes... after you cycle your tank with an ammonia source (fishless method preferred!) then your base rock will be "live" with bacteria. No need to add additional "live" rock.

Now if you're after rock that has existing life on it (worms, coralline algae, mini stars, etc...) then yes, you're going to have to get a little bit of rock that has critters on it to put in your tank.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

+1 for Kurt. Base rock will house the bacteria that will grow during the cycle process. You could try some PurpleUp to get coralline growing, but you need some real LR to really gets some beneficial life. I nornally receommend 75% base and 25% LR.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

while we are on this topic. Ill be moving up to a bigger tank in the summer which is also in a different city. is it possible to throw alot of base rock with a few live rock and start the cycle? It doesn't matter to me how long it will take cause its still 3-4 months away. but im assuming aslong as i give it the ammonia source and time all things will be alive (yes ill add more food course if it cure's faster than i expect. but im also thinking along the lines of 90% dry 10% live.

On second thought. Should i even worry about putting in live rock as it seems given time and the ammonia source all base rock will become live given time
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well if you wanting all the lil goodies you can get on LR you buy you have to buy some. if you just wanting rock with bacteria you can do all DR
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Any porous surface area will be coated with beneficial bacteria. That's why sand beds are so much better than almost anything else. There is a lot of surface area. The same is true of coral rock (most BR/LR was coral at one point). It is filled with crevices for water to flow through and bacteria to coat. So in that regard all BR will become LR from a filtration standpoint. However it will not get that nice LR look (coralline algea) unless it is seeded with coralline. That come from adding LR that was recently harvested in the Ocean. You also hopefully get all sorts of beneficial (and occasionally not so beneficial) life along with the rock. All sort of critters and pods and sponges, etc.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com